Summary: Gives a synoposis of the Armor of God and how to apply it to our lives.
Armor of God
Theme: Show the importance of putting on the armor of God in our lives
Text: Ephesians 6:10-18
Paul begins this chapter talking about the walk Eph 4:1 – 6:9 . Yet he seems to interrupt his thought and bring up spiritual warfare. Yet isn’t that a part of the believers walk. Unless we understand that there are spiritual forces trying to tear us down.
It is not just about us being on doing good. It is about understanding the forces of this world that are against us.
Eph 6:10-18 NKJV
Strong within: the Heart
(10) Finally, my brethren, be strong (empower) in the Lord and in the power (dominion) of His might (strength).
All done “in the Lord”, or as Paul likes to put it “In Christ”
Act 1:8 "But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth."
For with God nothing shall be impossible" (Luke 1:37).
"That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man" (Ephes. 3:16).
"Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us" (Ephes. 3:20).
"For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds" (2 Cor. 10:4)
(11) Put on the whole (everything, don’t leave anything behind) armor of God, that you may be able to stand (stand used 3X, this is important, not just sitting down fighting but holding ones ground) against the wiles (trickery, deceits, more than a physical battle, pay attention to everything around us, don’t let our guard down) of the devil.
"Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world" (1 John 2:15-16).
(12) For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.
Principalities – national rulers
Powers – high ranking evil spirits
Rulers of the darkness of this age – evil spirits out to destroy
Spiritual hosts of wickedness – perpetrating wickedness in all ways
(13) Therefore (because of this) take up the whole (everything) armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
Truth, waist of
Purpose: kept close next to the body
Spiritual purpose: Integrity of the Warrior
keep them free, no worry about fighting for the wrong cause, no worry about getting out of hand, you have the truth on your side.
(14) Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth,
Christ is the truth
The Word of God is the truth
Righteousness, Breastplate of
Purpose: protect the heart
Spiritual purpose: Heart of the Warrior and mind of the warrior protect our heart and mind
We are influenced by our heart
having put on the breastplate of righteousness,
We must let Christ be our righteousness. We must let Him lead us and protect us no matter what others say.
Proverbs 23:7 “So as a man thinks in his heart so he is”
Peace, gospel of - feet
Purpose: Walk of the Warrior
Spiritual purpose: protect our heart
(15) and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
This is our feet, out stability. Our stability is in Christ. He keeps us. The Gospel of Christ. The good news. Christ and Him crucified.
Yet notice the word preparation. We must be prepared. I believe that a Christian is first a peace maker and then a warrior. Now with the devil we are just warriors but we are called to be peace makers.
Note Here: Notice he changes the word from having to taking. The others we have as Christians, they are our character. These we take up.
Faith, shield of
Purpose: Faith of the Warrior
Spiritual purpose (kept them free)
(16) above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one.
"But You, O Lord, are a shield for me" (Psalm 3:3).
God is our shield yet we must put our faith in him.
Salvation, helmet of
Purpose: Mind of the Warrior
Spiritual purpose (kept them free)
(17) And take the helmet of salvation,