Summary: We are in dire times right now. It is important to all of us that we keep our focus on God and not let the world distract us from our mission... only adapt, as God leads us through this struggle.
Our nation and the entire world is in high-panic mode at this time, and we here at Sunrise Chapel, will do everything within our power to help the local communities and people impacted by the restrictions put on us by our state and federal governments.
We have all agreed to “follow the rules” put upon us as we understand the dangers associated with this terrible disease. We will also continue, as best we can, to bring God’s Word to you in any fashion we can… such as our little broadcast here on Facebook this morning. We’re not going anywhere… we are here for you today and always will be!
Let’s start this morning by giving you an overview of what we do know as fact from the medical community. We know you’ve heard a million stories on what it is; what the symptoms are; and how you can treat it but, this is what we have come to find as “the truth” (as much as they really know) about this virus.
This coronavirus itself was first discovered in the mid 1960’s and named for the crown-like spikes on their surface. There are seven different strains of this virus known to man today.
The latest strain SARS-CoV2 initially called the Wuhan virus, as it was first discovered in China in 2019, was given its latest name of COVID-19 by the World Health Organization (WHO) on February 11th of this year. Officially called a pandemic on March 11th, 2020.
Terms to know:
• Outbreak – Refers to the number of cases (disease) that exceeds what would be expected.
• Endemic – An infection within a geographical location that is existing perpetually.
• Pandemic – A global endemic!
As of yesterday, March 21st at 12:55 PM
• 288,664 – reported cases. 20,083 in the US alone.
• 11,972 – Deaths.
• 93,641 – Recovered. What they’re not emphasizing!
I’d say that’s pretty global!
• Fever – as the immune system goes into overdrive… which can lead to organ failure.
• Coughing – starting out with very dry coughing (no flem) and could lead to more severe cases of pneumonia or acute respiratory syndrome which can cause death.
• Shortness of Breath – or breathing difficulties.
Symptoms usually appear between 2-14 days, during which time, you may not even know you’ve contracted it. This, is why the actions that have been taken, were taken. You could be infected, or carry the virus, and not even know it! You may have it yet never show the symptoms! Don’t spread it around!
• Stay at home when it is possible to do so.
• Avoid large gatherings and public places.
• Cough or sneeze into a tissue.
• Wash your hands consistently. (imagine that!)
• DON’T BE MACHO!
We think it is important to know that the majority of the age groups that have had the most serious results have been with our older community… this doesn’t mean that you cannot catch this virus, it simply means that, if you do, you will probably be fine when it’s all said and done.
Okay, we’ve described what we know, or what the medical community has informed us about but what about what is probably not associated with this terrible sickness.
• Skin Affliction – Nope, haven’t heard of that one being related. If you’re feeling itchy, you’ve probably got yourself a little rash going on.
• Runny Nose/Sniffles – Again, this is more associated with the common cold or flu (which is also going around).
• Diarrhea – Although you would think this might be a symptom of COVID-19 with the toilet paper shortage we’re experiencing all over the country. Nonetheless, it isn’t one of the surefire indications that you’ve been infected. You’ve probably simply over-indulged on Taco Bell!
What we’re suggesting here this morning is you be more aware of what COVID-19 consists of and its symptoms. Listen to the medical community and not some post you’ve seen on Facebook. Trust us here, those can scare you to death!
Here is an interesting little fact. It has nothing to do with the Bible or COVID-19 but, being a fan of Nostradamus myself, I thought I’d share this eerie prediction he made in 1551.
“There will be a twin year (2020) from which will arise a queen (corona) who will come from the east (China) and who will spread a plague (virus) in the darkness of night, on a country with 7 hills (Italy) and will transform the twilight of men into dust (death), to destroy and ruin the world. It will be the end of the world economy as you know it.”
Being we know that Italy has been one of the hardest hit countries, I did a little more research to find out about the “7 hills.”