Summary: A sermon pointed to the need for a watchful outlook in resting the devil.
A) 1 Peter 5:8 - Be sober(watch), be vigilant(stay awake); because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
B) Every Christian has an enemy.
1) Although unseen by the natural eye
2) This adversary is not imaginary or a mythological character.
3) Satan, the Devil, is a real spirit being, with
ii) noticeable characteristics,
iii) and whose never-ending goal and desire is
(a) “The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy”: (John 10:10a)
C) Around the clock the enemy is on the prowl
1) Seeking to cause mayhem and destruction to
i) All believers
ii) And the work of Jesus Christ throughout the world.
2) With military-like strategy and ruthless aggression,
3) The devil aggressively searches for weakness in us
i) our faith
ii) and spiritual life
4) he hopes to devour us with
iii) Or oppression.
5) He is the picture and source of all that is evil
i) He is the author of every wicked work.
D) Regardless of whether you realize it or not Satan has targeted you as a victim.
1) He knows your name and address,
2) Your strengths and weaknesses.
3) Somewhere in the shadows, he and his forces lurk
ii) Planning for the moment they will strike
iii) A moment when you can be caught off-guard
4) He desperately hopes that you will, as many Christians have
i) Remain ignorant of his reality
ii) So that you’ll blame his assaults on
(b) Or something else
E) His method of operation is always “undercover.”
1) Faintly, he manipulates
i) Hindering circumstances
ii) and inspires evil thoughts or temptations,
iii) Disguising his activities behind the covering of people or things.
2) He will always seek to divert attention, and blame for his actions upon others.
3) But make no mistake, he (Satan) is the real enemy,
i) not your husband
vii) Or Christian brethren!
viii) Satan is the real enemy
ix) Ephesians 6:12 - For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the
darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places
F) Too many Christians have lost vigilance or “gone to sleep,” opening the way for Satan to work.
G) How do we remain “VIGILANT”?
II) Don’t Stray
A) Psalms 119:67 - Before I was afflicted I went astray: but now have I kept thy word.
B) Christians sometime neglect their prayer life
1) They fail to study God’s Word as they should.
2) When they do this they begin to stray.
C) Some lack the courage to say no to non-Christian friends.
1) They yield to the “old life” and become victims of Satan’s snares.
2) Romans 7:18 - For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
i) Paul explains the battle that rages continually in even the most spiritually mature people.