Summary: Baptism is a symbol that actually accomplishes that which it symbolizes! If you need to be united with Christ, if you need to be cleansed of your sin, if you need to be added to the church by God, then you need to be baptized.
Questions About Baptism…
WHY should I be baptized?
A. To follow the example of Jesus. (Matthew 3:16-17)
C. To unite with and be added to the family of God. (Acts 2:47,
WHAT is the meaning of baptism?
A. An illustration of the Gospel of Christ. (Romans 6:1-4)
• Into the water = Identification with His death.
• Out of the water = Participation in His resurrection.
B. A celebration of the grace of Christ. (Colossians 2:9-15)
• He died on a cross as our substitute.
• He rose from the grave as our Savior.
C. A proclamation of the glory of Christ. (1 Peter 3:15-22)
• In the church.
• To all the world.
HOW should I be baptized?
Immersion is the only biblical way to baptize, because the word actually
means “to plunge beneath”
• Jesus was baptized this way. (Mark 1:10)
• New Testament church leaders baptized people this way.
• This is the best illustration of the Gospel. (Romans 6:1-4)
WHO should be baptized?
A. Anyone who has repented of their sin and confessed that Jesus is the Son
B. Anyone else, who is convicted that their previous baptism wasn’t effective
WHEN should I be baptized?
As soon as…
• You place your faith in Christ. (Acts 8:12, 36-38; 9:18; 16:15, 33;
18:8; 19:5; 22:16)
Baptism is a symbol that actually accomplishes that which it symbolizes! If you need to be united with Christ, if you need to be cleansed of your sin, if you need to be added to the church by God, if you need the confidence that your salvation is secure in the trust of your Savior, obey His command to be immersed for the forgiveness of your sins!
CREDIT TO DAVID PLATT, THIS SERMON WAS BASED ON A SERMON HE PREACHED TITLED THE SAME.