Summary: Chuchy Cheese to the Beef Barron The 1st sermon in a series of 7 on Christian maturity and how to get there.
Chucky Cheese to the Beef Barron
Basic Christianity 101
#1 in a series of 7
International Standard Version
Reverend Dave Doherty
First Baptist Church
Pie Town, NM
Have you ever been to Chucky Cheese?
Kids running around like wild Indians in a maze of games and tube slides with hardly any supervision. No direction and no goals. Just running full blast in circles with too much red dye #7 in their blood supply. Security guards everywhere and your ears about to explode from the nonstop screaming from an energy source that never runs out.
I don’t care how long a person has been studying the word; they are still learning the milk. We just don’t have enough time in this physical life to learn it all. Therefore everyone, and I mean everyone is a babe in Christ. If a person says they know it all, they are liars and don’t listen to them. Nobody knows everything. Only God.
Have you ever been to the Beef Barron?
A very classy place. You have to wait to be seated, there’s nice music and if you just think about needing something there is a waiter right there to get it for you. Oh yeah, wear a tie. They won’t let you in without it.
At some point in time the Christian walk goes from Chucky Cheese to the Beef Barron. From gathering the word in your mind, to living it in your life. But somewhere, somehow we have to start organizing and prioritizing in our hearts and minds, fine tuning and feeding the want of milk into the want of meat.
Hopefully by the end of this series we all will understand what our personal ministries are and watch our personal relationship grow. I God permit it.
Jesus is the cornerstone
I have a background in building. Carpentry. If the first corner of a building is not correct neither will the rest of the building be. It all begins with the corner at the two strongest and longest walls.
1st Peter 2:1-8
1. Therefore, rid yourselves of every kind of evil and deception, hypocrisy, jealousy, and every kind of slander.
2. Like newborn babies, thirst for the pure milk of the word so that by it you may grow in your salvation.
3. Surely you have tasted that the Lord is good!
4. As you come to him, the living stone who was rejected by people but was chosen and precious in God’s sight,
5. you, too, as living stones, are building yourselves up into a spiritual house and a holy priesthood, so that you may offer spiritual sacrifices that are acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
6. This is why it says in Scripture: "Look! I am laying a chosen and precious cornerstone in Zion. The one who believes in him will never be ashamed."
7. Therefore he is precious to you who believe, but to those who do not believe, "The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone,
8. a stone they stumble over and a rock they trip on." They keep on stumbling because they disobey the word, as they were destined to do.
24. "Therefore, everyone who hears these words of mine and obeys them is like a wise man who built his house on a rock.
25. The rain fell, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, but it did not collapse because its foundation was on the rock.