Summary: What does it take to make a strong soldier of Jesus Christ?
Basic Training for Christians
Text: 2 Tim. 2:1-4
Goal of this series:
1. We want to look at this morning, the making of a strong soldier of Jesus Christ and comparing it to the making of an American Soldier.
As we will see, Soldiers are made… not born.
1. Basic training, boot camp, whatever you want to call it, is a place where young men and women are trained for the armed forces of the United States.
When it’s over, you’ll discover some amazing things.
Your mind will be sharper, your body will be lean and hard.
You’ll be more confident than you’ve ever been before.”
2. According to the US Army recruiting Web site, “Basic Training lasts only nine weeks, but IT WILL BE nine weeks you’ll never forget!
3. You will no longer be an average civilian, you will be a soldier.
An American soldier, best of the best.
Feared the world around as one who is able
To engaging any foe… Anywhere!
Sounds a lot like what Paul told the Corinthians in " (2 Corinthians 10:4-5)
“The weapons Christians use for warfare are not regular weapons of war, but special spiritual mighty weapons of God, destroying the spiritual strong holds of the enemy, ripping apart and throwing down, every evil thing that thinks or acts contrary to the laws of God’s kingdom.
We are soldiers of the cross
A. Basic training is not about you – its about you as a group
1. " You then, my child, be strengthened by the grace that is in Christ Jesus”
2 Tim 2:1 ESV
The strength to war… spiritual war… is found in Jesus Christ.
In the same way, the strength of the soldier comes from the group as a whole, the US Army.
1. Soldiers are made… not born
2. What kind of soldier will you be when the process is completed?