Summary: Called and trained to be the Best
Basic Training for Christians
Review from last week:
1. A soldier endures hardness
2. Stays strong and true
Text: 2 Tim. 2:1-4
A. A soldier does not entangle himself with things outside of army life. Vs. 4
1. Entangleth himself
Gr. 1707 emplekô; compound word from 1722 and 4120;
to weave in, to entwine,
B. What are some things that can entangle us?
1. The wrong friends can entangle us.
a. It is hard to tell them no when questionable activities are suggested
Did you ever notice how hard it is to say no to the wrong things?
Do you want to go to church tonight? No, I am too tired.
Lets go out and get some wine coolers. I am buying.
b. The word tells us…
"My son, if sinners entice you, do not consent." (Prov. 1:10)
Entice- to seek to persuade, to make the way wide open- in other words, to remove restrictions
"Do not be deceived: Bad company ruins good morals.”"
(1 Cor. 15:33)
2. What we watch can entangle us
a. The eyes are the gateway to the soul
What your eyes feed upon- you become
b. Show picture and ask? Who is this man?
Serial killer Ted Bundy.
Ted Bundy fed constantly on a diet of pornography - that which was unnaturally and he became a human animal.
Over 20 murders attributed to him
Dies in the electric chair in Florida on January 24, 1989.
3. What we listen to can entangle us
a. Evil music
1. "For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and are overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning." (2 Pet 2:20)
2. That he may please him who has called him to be a soldier
Well done thou good and faithful servant