Summary: A prayer for God to be glorified.
“Lord, when I pray, I’ll follow this pattern: My Father in heaven, may Your name be holy, in my life on earth as Your name is holy in heaven. May Your kingdom come in my life on earth as Your kingdom rules in heaven. May Your will be done in my life on earth as Your will is done in heaven. Give me daily bread for this day. And forgive the consequences of my sin, as I forgive the sins of those who hurt me. Do not let me be tempted to do evil and protect me from the evil one, for You have the ability to answer this prayer. Let Your kingdom rule my life, may You get credit when these prayers are answered” (Matthew 6:9-13, The Prayer Bible).
1. To leave out nothing. Story of Yonggi Cho.
2. To pray for everything. My daily activity.
B. WHY THE LORD’S PRAYER?
2. Pattern. “After this manner” (Matt. 6:9).
a. Can be prayed publicly, i.e., plural pronouns, us, our, we.
b. Can be prayed privately, i.e., “enter into your closet” (Matt. 6:6).
3. Pray meaningfully. “When ye pray, use not vain repetitions as the heathen” (Matt. 6:7). “Be not ye therefore like unto them” (Matt.6:8).
C. HOW TO BEGIN THE LORD’S PRAYER
1. Unity. The prayer begins with a plural pronoun “our” not a personal pronoun. God is not addressed as a Father, the Father, or my Father, but as “Our Father.”
2. Basis. How do we come to God in prayer?
a. Praying in Jesus’ name. “Whatsoever ye shall ask in my name that will I do” (John 14:14). But that formula is not found in the Lord’s Prayer, because it is included in the phrase “Our Father.” We come to God with Jesus.
b. Because of Calvary. We can pray the Lord’s Prayer because we are covered by His blood shed at the cross (Eph. 1:7).
c. Because of His intercession. We can pray the Lord’s Prayer because “He (Jesus) ever liveth to make intercession for us” (Heb. 7:25).
3. Intimate. A new title is given to God by Jesus. He is called Father. A father provides food for his children.
4. Fasting is giving up to get. “When you fast . . . your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly” (Matt. 6:17-18).
D. THE PERFECTION OF THE LORD’S PRAYER
THY PETITIONS PRAYING FOR GOD’S GLORY
“In Heaven” 1. Thy name be hallowed.
2. Thy kingdom come.
3. Thy will be done.
Semi-Conclusion: “On earth as in heaven.”
THE HINGE Praying for our PROVISIONS.
4. Give us our daily bread.
US PETITIONS PRAYING FOR OUR SPIRITUALITY
5. Forgive us our debts.
6. Lead us not into temptation.
7. Deliver us from the Evil One.
Conclusion: Kingdom, Power and glory
E. SEVEN PETITIONS AND FASTING
1. Worship Hallowed Be Thy Name.
a. A prayer for God to be glorified.
b. Fast to remove any obstacles, that keep you from worshiping the Father.
2. Guidance Thy Kingdom Come.
a. A prayer for God’s rule on earth.
b. Fast for God’s principles to control you.
3. Yield Thy Will Be Done.
a. A prayer to submit to the rulership of God.
b. Fast to find unyielded areas of life.
4. Provision Give Us This Day Our Daily Bread.
a. A prayer for our daily needs.
b. Fast for specific needs.
5. Pardon Forgive Us Our Debts.
a. A prayer to cleanse known and unknown sins.
b. Fast to find hidden sins.
6. Victory Lead Us Not Into Temptation.
a. A prayer to overcome sin and failure.
b. Fast for specific victory.
7. Protection Deliver Us From The Evil One.
a. A prayer for protection from spiritual dangers and destruction.
b. Fast against specific attacks.
1. Will you commit yourself to pray daily the Lord’s Prayer this month?
____ Yes ____ No
2. Will you commit to regularly fast this month?
____ Yes ____ No
If you have never really accepted Jesus as your personal Savior, would you do it right now? Do not delay or put it off. If you would like to receive Christ by faith, pray this simple prayer in your heart:
Dear Lord, I acknowledge that I am a sinner. I believe Jesus died for my sins on the cross, and rose again the third day. I repent of my sins. By faith I receive the Lord Jesus as my Savior. You promised to save me, and I believe You, because You are God and cannot lie. I believe right now that the Lord Jesus is my personal Savior, and that all my sins are forgiven through His precious blood. I thank You, dear Lord, for saving me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.