Summary: 1. We Sin Because We Want To 2. Sin Reveals What We Believe 3. Result of Sin 4. Reasons Not To Sin
Battle Against Sin
- Guerrilla warfare is a (Sp = little war) using ambushes, sabotage, raids, and surprise to attack the bigger stronger enemy
60 poorly armed and barley trained Shop keepers, Farmers
Against 100’s of British trained & well armed and have fought on 5 continents never defeated
Guerilla warfare was used at Lexington and Concord in April 1775, with the skirmishes that started the fighting. At first the colonial militiamen were in linear formation. As the British force retreated to Boston, the colonists, armed with their own civilian weapons, sniped at the Brits from behind fences and trees rather than confronting the "regulars" in formal lines of battle. With such guerilla tactics, the militiamen killed and wounded more British soldiers (260) Americans. (90)
- Guerrilla tactics of our lust plays havoc on our freedom in Christ
1. We Sin Because We Want To
- Sin drips into our soul one drop at a time
- It’s little by little
- A seed here a seed there
- Israel had become prosperous
- Hosea to take a prostitute for a wife
- Israel’s idolatry
Hosea 10:13 (NIV)
But you have planted wickedness, you have reaped evil, you have eaten the fruit of deception. Because you have depended on your own strength and on your many warriors,
James 1:14 (AV)
14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
James 4:1–4 (AV)
1 From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members?
2 Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not.
3 Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.
4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.
- Test of faithfulness
- What do you Love
- Loving the World is compared to adultery
2. Sin Reveals What We Believe
- Satan can only tempt us to sin not force us to sin
- We take the temptation and hold on to it
- Turn the temptation over in our mind
- We nurture or feed the temptation to sin
- We see that with Jesus temptation
- Battles win/lose depend upon what we think about God & sin
Colossians 3:1–3 (AV)
1 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.
- Affection – (to be attached to, to love, desire)
3. Result of Sin
Ec 2:10 (AV)
And whatsoever mine eyes desired I kept not from them, I withheld not my heart from any joy; for my heart rejoiced in all my labour: and this was my portion of all my labour. 11 Then I looked on all the works that my hands had wrought, and on the labour that I had laboured to do: and, behold, all was vanity and vexation of spirit, and there was no profit under the sun
Ec 2:10 (MSS)