Summary: This Bible study was written for men's small groups to compliment the BATTLE ROYAL: WHEN WORLD'S COLLIDE Men's sermon series.
"Battle Royal - When World's Collide"
Session One: The Celestial Showdown
“We've been at war since before the beginning of time, when Lucifer, the bright and morning star, the exalted holy being of Holy God, desired equality with God and was cast out of the Majesty’s presence, cursed for all time.” (Major Dale Pilgrim)
2. The suggestion that we are at war is not common to us. Is this just an expression or is there truth to it?
3. What does Ephesians 6:12 look like in our world today, in your town or city or in your home?
4. “We've reduced God to wood. Our wood is any attempt to shape God in our image, to make Him suit our thinking.” Share examples of how we may attempt to shape God to suit our thinking.
5. “This superb passage contrasts religion as a load with religion as a lift”. To go a step further, Reverend James Hastings in his scholar work offers this, “The test [the prophet] suggests, by which a [person] can find out whether he is dealing with an idol or with the Lord of heaven and earth, is this: Do you feel yourself carrying your religion, or do you feel that it carries you: is it weight or is it wings?”
6. Verses 8-9, “Remember this… Remember former things”. The temptation to join the party of the pagan idolatry is strong. It seems harmless until we find ourselves trapped and against the wall, only to be faced with the dark night of no hope and our gods can’t help us. To avoid this venom bite, we are told to remember the past. One writer put it this way: “God is revealed in history, and we establish present fellowship by recalling what he has done.”
Why is there value in remembering the past? Does it strengthen our confidence for the future?