Summary: ❶. Without Christ ❷. With Christ ❸ My Response
- My deliberate trip into Elkins WV wild Bowden Cave
- It’s huge opening pretends to give promise of a wonderful adventure
- once back of the opening it had a tiny winding downward passage into the cavern
- Cavern’s slimy slope slid you into a cold underground stream
- Every step was dangerous with out a guide and light
- Once deep into the cave’s passages it is impossible to find your way out if you did not have a light, someone who knew the way and give support and hand to help you
- being alone without light means certain death
There are two conditions referred to—in the pit, and on the rock; With Christ or Without Christ
❶. Without Christ.
In a "horrible pit. "
2 He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.
Psalm 40:2The Living Bible
2He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out from the bog and the mire, and set my feet on a hard, firm path, and steadied me as I walked along.
2 He lifted me out of the pit of destruction, out of the sticky mud. He stood me on a rock and made my feet steady
2 I was sliding down into the pit of death, and he pulled me out.
He brought me up out of the mud and dirt.
He set my feet on a rock.
He gave me a firm place to stand on.
1. THE PIT IS DEEP
Horror , for those in it are "afar off" from God and beyond the reach of the help of man.
1 Why standest thou afar off, O LORD? why hidest thou thyself in times of trouble?
23 Am I a God at hand, saith the LORD, and not a God afar off?
2. THE PIT IS DARK
- The darkness is so dense that those in this pit cannot see themselves or their own lamentable state. They are often stone blind to the light of God’s grace or the beauty of His Son.
3. THE PIT IS DEPLORABLE
- KJV word is Horrible (margin reads NOISE, ROAR).
- Like a waterfall
- Much noises, but no soul-soothing music.
- The noise of trouble and difficulties
- Many tongues around us
- The tongue of business, the tongue of pleasure, the tongues of greed, of riot, and of blasphem
- Noises that are so loud that the still small voice of the Spirit of grace is often unheard.
❷. With Christ.
"Upon a rock. " The place of safety. And instead of the horrible noise there is a new song in the mouth.
1. Upon the rock of His INFALLIBLE WORK.
- It is Calvary’s Cross work
- The only foundation for the feet of faith.
- "On Christ the solid Rock I stand. All other ground is sinking sand."
2. Upon the rock of His INFALLIBLE WORD.
- He hath promised, and He cannot lie. His "hath" is as sure as His throne (John 3. 36). "Thy Word is settled in Heaven.’’ All the efforts and arguments of ungodly men will never unsettle it.
3. Upon the rock, of His INFALLIBLE WORTHINESS
- Singing a New Song.
- All about gladness & satisfaction.
- Once a roar now the song of heaven
- The agony arising out of self-interest has been exchanged for "Praise unto our God."
❸ My Response
- v. 1 Look
- v. 3 Praise
- v. 8 Delight
- v. 13 Pray
- v. 16 Worship