Summary: Every person should carry Jesus to others because of three commands.
Be The Donkey
October 16, 2005 AM
Central Theme: Why should we bring the message of Jesus to others?
Objective: Every person should carry Jesus to others because of three commands.
Introduction: I love when the LORD uses illustrations. When Jesus made His triumphant entry into Jerusalem, He did it in a big way. People were shouting, the road was covered so that the donkey didn’t touch the dirt. There was joy and enthusiasm that day.
I want to talk about that day and see if I can find an application for us today.
READ Matthew 21:1-9
A. The donkey was important.
1. Zechariah 9:9 gives the prophesy of the Messiah coming into Jerusalem on the colt of a donkey.
2. Jesus had to do everything that was prophesied about Him.
B. The people made the donkey to walk on palms and clothes.
1. If people threw down their clothes so that my feet did not have to touch the ground, I’d be a bit overwhelmed.
2. I would be very proud and even high-minded.
3. I would start to think that I am something.
4. "Look at all this attention that I’m getting."
C. Jesus is the most important object in this message.
1. Jesus is the message.
2. We are simply the donkeys that bring the message from place to place.
3. We are to be like Balaam’s donkey and speak
4. What we speak are the words of Jesus. He is the message that we bring.
READ Matthew 28:18-20
II. Jesus said Go!
A. The message must not be static.
1. Something is static when it does not move.
2. We cannot just sit here and expect people to come and hear the gospel message.
3. Jesus did not stay in one place in His earthly ministry.
4. Jesus went from place to place preaching the good news.
B. The message has to be dynamic
1. Jesus went to where the people are.
2. He went to towns, businesses, and places of worship preaching the good news.
3. As a church and individuals, we must GO and tell the gospel to others.
C. The message must be compelling.
1. Luke 14:23 "And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled."
2. We have to figure out what is compelling and use that to bring people in.
3. Whatever works is good for me.
D. The messenger must be obedient
1. Jesus said "Go."
2. We ought to go therefore
3. About 70% of people that get saved and join a church do so because someone invited them.
4. The most effective evangelism is simply telling your neighbor about Jesus. Tell people what the LORD has done for you.
II. Jesus said Go!
III. Jesus said Lo!
A. Jesus is with us.
1. We have been given a task, but that task was not given without the necessary training and equipment.
2. I know what it means to be a boss.
3. When I tell someone to do something, I expect it to be done.
4. As a boss, it is my responsibility to equip and train people to do the jobs that I ask them to do.
5. Jesus has equipped each of us for the task He has asked us to do.
B. Tools for the soul winner.
1. The Holy Spirit of God; the very presence of God.
2. The Holy Bible.
3. The changed life.