Summary: Seeing one who was suffering from Satan’s trickery, Jesus reminded us that we do not have to ’live in bondage’ but can ’be set free’!
After our Deacon’s Mtg, and on the way home, I began to think about our Prayer Time and discussion
The Lord over the rest of the night began to really tug and speak to my heart.
In fact, this message has been being formed all throughout the week
It speaks to us as individuals
It speaks to us as a church
WHAT Has You TIED DOWN THIS MORNING – IN BONDAGE – WHAT IS YOUR INFIRMITY?
Our Passage: Luke 13:10-16
I. THE WOMAN’S INFIRMITY
READ VERSES 10-11
A. ‘crippled by a spirit’ - ‘spirit of infirmity’-NKJV
MSG – ‘twisted and bent over with arthritis’
LIT. = “disease, weakness, feebleness of body or wind, distraction of the mind or body, a distortion”
Notice the added word ‘Spirit’ - Also notice the phrase in vs. 16 “whom Satan has kept bound”
- We can see that infirmities are caused by Satan.
Had Sin and Satan never entered the world – no infirmity – no pain, distortion (things of confusion), no distraction, no sickness, no misery, no financial nightmares, no divorce, no failure, no – no - no
- Anything that robs the joy as God intended we have
“I have come that you might joy and that you might have it to the fullest”
What is it today that has robbed you of the fullest joy that Christ intends you have? WHAT IS IT?
B. ‘for eighteen years’
- A long time
- Can you imagine having a condition – an infirmity – for 18yrs. Knowing it comes from Satan
- Forget the pain, but the embarrassment, humiliation
- But still notice where she was – AT CHURCH
- She wanted help.
C. ‘was bent over’
- We don’t realize how much our infirmity pulls us away from God
- She was bent over
- One translation ‘she could not look up’
- Sickness in that day was considered a Spirit of a Demon
- I find nothing in the Word that shows it to be something else. As long as we are in this world, there will be infirmities of every sort.
- We are to long to be home – our real home.
D. What is Your Infirmity
- What about your hold? How long has it been?
- Church – What is our hold and how long has it been?
We have been chained, hand cuffed, shackled, imprisoned & trapped
- UNDERSTAND YOUR INFIRMITY IS OF SATAN
- Pain, habit, divorce, failure in life, bitterness, drugs, alcohol, insecurity, - ETC ETC
- ANYTHING that pulls you from the Joy God intends you have through Jesus
- Listen to Paul’s distraction from the MSG Translation:
Romans 7:14-20 (MSG)
14 "I know that all God’s commands are spiritual, but I’m not. Isn’t this also your experience?" Yes. I’m full of myself—after all, I’ve spent a long time in sin’s prison.
15 What I don’t understand about myself is that I decide one way, but then I act another, doing things I absolutely despise.
16 So if I can’t be trusted to figure out what is best for myself and then do it, it becomes obvious that God’s command is necessary.
17 But I need something more! For if I know the law but still can’t keep it, and if the power of sin within me keeps sabotaging my best intentions, I obviously need help!
18 I realize that I don’t have what it takes. I can will it, but I can’t do it.
19 I decide to do good, but I don’t really do it; I decide not to do bad, but then I do it anyway.
20 My decisions, such as they are, don’t result in actions. Something has gone wrong deep within me and gets the better of me every time.
- What keeps YOU distracted – allows Satan to keep you from seeking God’s Deliverance!
- Church – What is keeping you from seeking God’s Deliverance out of this infirmity?
- It is so sad how long some of us will go down the road of infirmity – the road satan tricked you to being on – knowing it is not right – but not able to let go.
- The Psalmist prayed:
Psalms 19:12-14 (NKJV)
12 Who can understand his errors? Cleanse me from secret faults.
13 Keep back Your servant also from presumptuous sins; Let them not have dominion over me. Then I shall be blameless, And I shall be innocent of great transgression.
14 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer.
- this woman wanted to be free. Notice where she was! In the Synagogue
- It’s NOT a stretch to say that if you want to be free escaping from the prison of your life, THEN put yourself in the place where you will interact with God and God’s people. (so many times satan influences you to do just the opposite – THINK – “why would he do that? Why would he not want you in the house of God?”