Summary: We as Christians are to be different from the world around us.
BE YE SEPARATE
17) Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
As Christians we are told by the bible to live holy lives that reflect the nature of God. We are to separate ourselves from actions, influences, or people that will hinder our service to God.
Do you understand that as a Christian you are to live differently from those in the world? Sounds simple, but there are a lot of people who think they can get saved and still hang out with the same crowd, they think they can still go to the same places, but you can’t.
The bible tells Christians to be separate from the world. That means when you get saved you change your life, you change your friends, and you change your hangouts. But, that doesn’t mean you abandon your lost friends. You still talk to your old friends after you get saved, you just change the topic of your conversations. You can still hang out with your old friends, you just change the location. Instead of going out with them, bring them to church with you.
My point is, you don’t abandon sinners, but you don’t join them either. As a Christian, you are to bring them up to your level, not let them bring you down to theirs.
A Christian is directed by God’s word to apply the biblical principles of separation and avoid a few things:
1) We are to steer clear of anything that goes against biblical standards.
If the bible said it was a sin 2000 years ago, then it’s still a sin today, the bible does not change to fit the changing culture.
2) Avoid any association that will hinder your spiritual life:
Teenagers, that means if your boyfriend or girlfriend won’t come to church with you, then find you a new one, one that will. Not only boyfriends and girlfriends, but any of your friends.
14) Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? And what communion hath light with darkness?
16) And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? For ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
3) Avoid any situation that you are unsure of:
There are some sins that are plainly spelled out in the bible, and then there are sins that are your own personal convictions. If you have your doubts as to whether or not something is a sin, then for you it is a sin. Because God’s word says in Romans 14:23 that... for whatsoever is not of faith is sin. In other words if you aren’t sure if it’s a sin, then for you it is a sin.
4) Just do the right thing:
James 4:17 says
Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.
When you know it’s the right thing to do, then do it. If not then it’s a sin
If you are not living a life separate from the world, then how does the world know you’re different? If you can still go out and commit the same sins as before you were saved, then I hate to tell you, you didn’t get saved.