Summary: victory in Christ
Intro: there is a commercial on television where a man is pouring out his heart to a counselor in English, only to have the counselor respond back to him in French. Many times people come to church with a need for practical preaching, and they get deep theological studies that no one can understand. So God has put in my heart to teach on practical issues that apply to every day life. Tonight, I would like to give you some scriptures on winning over the devil’s fiery darts of discouragement.
Winning over the Devil’s Fiery Darts of Discouragement
· I Peter 5:8—Resist steadfast in the faith---you probably have heard this statement before, but years ago I had a friend who would say, you’ve got to keep the faith. When you feel discouraged in any area of life, faith is your shield.
When you battling discouragement in any area of your life, the scripture offers the comfort you need. You can stand on the promises of God.
· James 4:7,8—Resist the devil and he will flee from you. Draw nigh to God, and God will draw nigh to you.
Don’t give in to the devil, when you feel an attack, resist it, and he will flee.
Get God involved—don’t fight that battle in the flesh, the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God.
· Joshua 1:9—don’t let fear torment your mind. The mind is a battle field and the devil wants to set up shop in your mind. Don’t let the devil keep you upset, the Lord is with you no matter where you are, and with God for you, than nothing can stand against you.
· Psalms 42:11—Hope thou in God; for I shall yet praise him. David had his valleys, and he had his battles with discouragement, but he didn’t place his hope in himself, or even others, but God who is faithful. He looked beyond the battle and said, I shall yet praise him.
· I Peter 5:7-casting all your cares upon him; for he careth for you. One of the biggest lies of the devil is that no one cares about what you are going through, but the Word of God says, you can cast all your cares upon the Lord, for he cares for you.
· Psalms 37:4,5 delight thyself in the Lord and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. Commit thy way unto the Lord, trust also in him, and he shall bring it to pass. Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for him. True rest comes from the Lord. Learning to lean on Jesus, finding more power than I’ve ever dreamed, I’m learning to lean on Jesus.
· Galatians 6:9—and let us not be weary in well doing, for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not. Sometimes the narrow road seems like the hard road, and the straight way like the longest way, but if you will not faint, if you will keep on keeping on, you are going to reap a wonderful harvest in your lifetime, and the eternity to come.
Close: I love doing bible studies of areas that other people may pass over as trivial pursuit. One I did years ago were the salutations of the Bible and the benedictions. I love Paul’s salutations or opening remarks, because they all start with encouragement for the believer: here are just a few.