Summary: Jesus’ claim to deity means nothing if that claim wasn’t backed by the act of deity: salvation for mankind. Ultimately, those in Christ, as blessed with EVERY spiritual blessing.
Because of the Great I Am – in Christ, I am…
Theme: Counting all the blessings I have because I’m in Christ. Ephesians 1:3-14
A. Jesus’ claim to deity means nothing if that claim wasn’t backed by the act of deity: salvation for
B. For those who accepted His claim, believed and confessed Jesus as the Son of God, and humbled
themselves to their Lord in baptism… they have the gracious blessing of His salvation. Mk. 16:16
C. Ultimately, those in Christ, as blessed with EVERY spiritual blessing.
I. FROM THE BEGINNING I HAVE BEEN
A. Chosen to be holy and blameless. Eph. 1:4
1. Those “chosen in Him” were chosen to walk in the good works which God created beforehand.
2. We were chosen to walk worthy of the calling with which we were called. Eph. 4:1
3. Therefore, whoever “believes” (by the freedom of choice) in Him would not perish but have
everlasting life. Jn. 3:16; 2 Thess. 2:13
B. Predestined to be adopted as a child. Eph. 1:5
1. Through love which at best would be difficult for man to quantify, God planned ahead of time that
His chosen would be “adopted as sons through Christ.” Eph. 1:5
2. There is no greater blessing than becoming a child of the Almighty God – the One who created all,
and who is above all in wisdom, power, and might. Gal. 4:1-7
C. This is God’s planned blessing that He predestined to be bestowed upon me… in the Beloved. Eph.
II. BECAUSE OF JESUS’ DEATH ON THE CROSS I AM
A. Redeemed through His blood. Eph. 1:7
1. The payment for our sins, the debt which no amount of money could buy back, shows just how
valuable our souls are before God. Cp. Mk. 16:26; Rom. 6:23
2. Yet, through the cross of Jesus Christ – and our faith in Him as our Redeemer – we have God’s
indescribable blessing of redemption. Rom. 3:21-26
B. Forgiven of my sins. Eph. 1:7
1. Hand in hand with redemption is forgiveness for something we do not deserve. Rom. 5:6-11
2. This is the very blessing that David prophetically spoke of among those who accepts Jesus Christ
through faith. Rom. 4:5-8
C. This is God’s blessing upon me…according to the richness of His grace which He freely and
abundantly gives to us. Eph. 1:7-8
III. ALSO, BECAUSE OF HIM I CAN EXPERIENCE
A. The inheritance that I have obtained. Eph. 1:11
1. Apart from Jesus there is only eternal thing given by God is condemnation. 1
2. As God’s children have the (blessing) gift of life because of the sacrificial death of our Savior. Cp.
B. The sealing of the Holy Spirit, who is given as a pledge of my inheritance. Eph. 1:13
1. God’s promise should be sufficient, but for our sake He swears by none other than Himself to give
us the hope of eternal salvation. Heb. 6:13-18
2. This great blessing of assurance is for our salvation is God’s gift of the Holy Spirit. Cp. Acts 2:38
C. This is God’s blessing upon me…to the praise of His glory. Eph. 1:14
1 MacArthur, John, Ephesians: The MacArthur New Testament Commentary, page 29.
A. We definitely have ALL BLESSINGS (past, present, and future) in Christ.
B. Let’s live our lives in Him as if those blessings mean everything to us.