Summary: This morning I want to expand your thinking in the area of becoming spiritually mature. We must as Christians grow up and get about doing our fathers business. We must grow more spiritually mature in order to experience all the blessings of God. We demon
A. Spiritually mature Christians make decisions based upon the Word of God.
1. When you make decisions that are in line with the Word of God, you demonstrate spiritual maturity.
2. Spiritually mature Christians make decisions based on faith.
a. By faith, Moses refused his privileges as the son of pharaoh’s daughter.
(AMP) Hebrews 11 24[Aroused] by faith Moses, when he had grown to maturity and become great, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter, 25Because he preferred to share the oppression [suffer the hardships] and bear the shame of the people of God rather than to have the fleeting enjoyment of a sinful life. 26He considered the contempt and abuse and shame [borne for] the Christ (the Messiah Who was to come) to be greater wealth than all the treasures of Egypt, for he looked forward and away to the reward (recompense).
B. To become spiritually mature we must put the things of God first in our life.
1. Moses is an example of a person who put God first over the pleasures of this world.
2. Spiritual wealth is greater than material wealth.
(NKJV) Psalm 1 1 Blessed is the man Who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, Nor stands in the path of sinners, Nor sits in the seat of the scornful; 2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD, And in His law he meditates day and night. 3 He shall be like a tree Planted by the rivers of water, That brings forth its fruit in its season, Whose leaf also shall not wither; And whatever he does shall prosper.
3. God wants you to be whole and prosper as your soul prospers
C. A sign that you are maturing as a Christians is that you are dead to people’s praise and criticism.
1. A spiritually mature Christian is like a dead man walking.
a. Paul was not concerned about being judged by people or took personally what evil things they may say to him.
(NKJV) 1 Corinthians 4 2 Moreover it is required in stewards that one be found faithful. 3 But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged by you or by a human court. In fact, I do not even judge myself. 4 For I know of nothing against myself, yet I am not justified by this; but He who judges me is the Lord.
b. Spiritually mature Christians are not people pleasers, but God pleasers.
2. Spiritually mature Christians are humble people.
a. Spiritually mature Christians thank God for everything.
3. Spiritually mature Christians always walk in the love of God.
(NKJV) 1 Corinthians 13 4 Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; 5 does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; 6 does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
D. As we grow in Christ, people will see more of Him and less of our ways shining through.
1. God is always at work on the behalf of the Believer. We must learn to rejoice no matter what circumstances we face.
a. Look in Genesis and the story of Joseph.
(NKJV) Genesis 45 5 But now, do not therefore be grieved or angry with yourselves because you sold me here; for God sent me before you to preserve life. 6 For these two years the famine has been in the land, and there are still five years in which there will be neither plowing nor harvesting. 7 And God sent me before you to preserve a posterity for you in the earth, and to save your lives by a great deliverance.
b. In order to grow more spiritually mature, we will experience trials, tests and temptations.
c. You will never develop your faith unless there is pressure.
d. Sometimes God allows certain things to happen in our life. He uses these things to mature us and show us how to overcome with the Word of God.
e. Everything we do is a walk of faith. We must press in, pass the test and then position ourselves to be used of God.
f. In order to be a conqueror you must conquer some things in your life.
· Spiritually mature Christians make decisions based upon the Word of God.
· A spiritually mature Christian always places God first. They are God pleasers and not man pleasers.
· We mature when we become like dead men walking. Nothing man says affects us. The only opinion that matters is that of God’s.
· God is always at work on the behalf of the Believer. We must learn to rejoice no matter what circumstances we face.
· Let us pray.