Summary: Father’s Day sermon of 2006 - focusing on being a Godly father
Being a Godly Father
Father’s Day 2006
What is a Godly Father? A Godly Father is one who puts his total trust and faith in Almighty God to be the leader of His household. 1. To be the husband to his wife that God requires. 2. To be the father who leads and guides his children in life. 3. To be the man who provides for his family through hard work. On this Father’s Day 2006, I stand before you thankful for my raising and my parents. Although we didn’t always agree on things from time to time, they raised me according to the Word of God and never stayed off course from that fundamental basis.
Let’s say this today. Maybe up to this point, you haven’t been the “father of the year” according to God’s standards. To be honest, none of us have been. But through the teaching of God’s word today, you and I can leave this Sanctuary a changed person, ready to fulfill the duty of a Godly Father and Ladies, not to leave you out – a Godly woman.
I. Be a Godly Man
a. If you are a follower of Jesus Christ – you should be disciplined in everything that you do.
i. If you say you are a Christian – be one!
b. A yes is a yes and a no is a no
c. Be an EXAMPLE for your child to follow
i. Be an EXAMPLE of a Godly Husband
1. Loving and Caring to Wife
2. Loving and Caring to Children
a. Discipline a child when they do wrong
1. “He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chastenenth him betimes.”
2. Lack of discipline to a child puts a parent’s love in question because it shows a lack of concern for the character development of their children.
3. When we don’t discipline, we are setting ourselves and our children up for trouble down the road.
4. Remember, discipline is not an act of abuse. Discipline is to be an act of love and guidance.
b. Encouraging words – not discouraging words
c. Often times, discouragement = destruction in the life of a child.
i. Build your children up – encourage them to do their best – support them by you being there!
ii. Be an EXAMPLE of a Christian Man
1. Live out Jesus every day
a. Titus 2:6
i. “Exort to be sober mnded”
b. It is more important for a child to see something being done, that to be told it
2. Don’t change when you go to work or out on the lake
iii. Be an EXAMPLE by faithfully attending church
1. Attend church every chance you get – to enhance your ability to raise your child in the sight of God
i. “Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.”
b. Bro. Jon, We carried our children to church and they’re not here today. What went wrong?
i. Keep praying for them to come back into God’s house. His Word never returns void. Pray that they will see the need of coming back to church, whether it be here with you, or elsewhere.
2. Many folks don’t see the need of attending Sunday School with their children.
a. It is imperative that children – as young as nursery age get in church.
b. I like to think of the principle of “Osmosis”
i. Information will sink in!
3. Learning Bible Stories will not only help show them about God, it will help show them how they should live.