Summary: God’s Church is in desperate need of real men.
BEING A REAL MAN
6/21/09 Psalm 112 S__ R__ L__
1. God is Searching for Real Men
Proverbs 20:6 Most men will proclaim every one his own goodness: but a faithful man who can find?
Ezekiel 22:30 And I sought for a man among them, that should make up the hedge, and stand in the gap before me for the land, that I should not destroy it: but I found none.
Psalms 12:1 Help, LORD; for the godly man ceases; for the faithful fail from among the children of men.
2. One factor of Decline of USA –masculinity
a. We live in a day when men shave their legs
and women shave their heads
b. we live in a day when men are encouraged to get in touch w/feminine side & women have forgotten what it means to be a lady
3. Today’s men have been criticized & shamed
a. until - abdicated their roles in family & society
b. masc. reduced to yes man who says yes ma’am
c. men – time to grow up & cut the apron string
ladies not only let them but encourage
d. its time to be godly men serving a great God
4. By End of Msg. Know what a Real Man is
a. opportunity to become one if you are not
1. SALVATION THAT IS SEEABLE V. 1
A. Awesome Reverence
1. Fear of Offending
Deut. 6:13 You shall fear the LORD your God, and serve him, and shall swear by his name.
Matt. 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
2. Fear of Hurting
a. How God must love us – his only son
b. How God wants to bless us –sin stands in way
3. Fear of Shaming
a. We are His trophies of Grace
b. Psalms 139:23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:
B. Enthusiastic Obedience
1. Attendance at Worship
a. Not come with but Bring them with us
Psalms 84:1-2 How amiable are thy tabernacles, O LORD of hosts! 2 My soul longs, yea, even faints for the courts of the LORD: my heart and my flesh cries out for the living God.
10 For a day in thy courts is better than a thousand. I had rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God, than to dwell in the tents of wickedness.
2. Attitude at Worship
a. Enter expecting God to show up – voice it
a. Our Children learn from watching us
b. More caught than taught
c. we raise our hands; prayer altar; Amen!
a. Not only self but Children – until taught
b. child under 12 ought to sit w/Father – teens?
a. instead of roast prchr- complaining – time
b. talk of God’s awesome presence; souls saved
2. INFLUENCE THAT IS UNDENIABLE V 2
A. On Your Family
1. Children that are heroes instead of zeroes
Gen. 18:19 For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment;
B. On Your Community
1. Godly Fathers produce godly communities
the generation of the upright shall be blessed.
3. CHARACTER THAT IS VISIBLE V. 3-5
A. Riches Can’t Rule Him
1. More to life than making a buck
a. Wealth = enough
2. 1 Timothy 6:9-11 9 But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition. 10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. 11 But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.