Summary: The amazing wisdom of God in condemning us in the First Adam
Today we are going to look at what has been called one of the most important theological ideas in all of Scripture. A definite KEY to understanding the gospel.
The heart of the argument to explain our need of forgiveness through Jesus Christ.
1) Establish the FACT that ALL ARE SINNERS: by nature and by actions.
We are all infected with the SAME DISEASE. Some infections are worse than others and sin is
the worst infection of all.
Woman took her husband to the doctor’s office. After his checkup the doctor said, ‘Your husband is suffering from a very serious illness’.
The husband was hard of hearing and said, ‘What did he say?’ ‘He says you are sick’.
The doctored continued, ‘But there is hope. You just need to reduce his stress. Each morning, give him a full breakfast. Always be pleasant and nice and kind. For lunch and dinner make him his favorite meals. Never argue with him and always keep yourself looking as perfect as possible. Basically cater to his every whim or he won’t make it’.
The hard of hearing husband again said, ‘What did he say?’ HE SAYS YOU ARE GONNA DIE
Only thing worse than being so sick is not having any hope of a cure.
2) Established that FAITH is the only solution. Works is not an option.
Justification(right standing) is only possible through faith placed upon the finished work of Jesus
Today we are going to see that sin is a problem for every person that has ever lived.
It was a part of who we were before we were ever born.
1) Ps 51: David said, ‘In sin my mother conceived me’ OUR DNA is Sin
Term we understand as ORIGINAL SIN.
Make everyone think of same geometrical shape with a simple nursery rhyme.
Humpty dumpty sat on a wall, Humpty Dumpty had a great fall, all the kings horses and all the kings men could not put Humpty back together again.
No egg is mentioned. Most don’t know where the rhyme came from.
NEW ENGLAND PRIMER – used to compare the letters A & X and teach original sin.
In Adam’s fall we sinned all, Xeres the great did dies and so must you and I
Taught two letters but also theology. We all were affected by Adam’s sin, the penalty which is death. WHO IS GOING TO PUT US BACK TOGETHER AGAIN AFTER OUR GREAT FALL?
Very important point in the Gospel message: We come into this world as part of a polluted stream that began all the way back to Adam.
1) Extremely important to know that our condition is rooted in Adam’s sin.
That it is a BLESSING and not CURSE.
(12) Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned-
(13) for until the Law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is not law.
(14) Nevertheless, death reigned from Adam until Moses, even over those who had not sinned in the likeness of the offense of Adam, who is a type of Him Who was to come.
Paul in 1 Corinthians discusses the First Adam and the Last Adam.
Jesus Christ is described as the Second Adam
1) When God looks at the billions of people on this earth and all those that have ever lived He sees
them in one of two places. In ADAM or In CHRIST..
2) We are born in the First Adam but we are Born Again into the Second Adam.
3) When in Adam you are identified with His sin but when in Christ the second Adam you are
identified with His righteousness.
A man was trying to convince an acquaintance that one individual can make a lasting impression on others. After a rather heated discussion his friend continued to doubt.
To prove his point, the first man declared that he would introduce a new word into the English language. The night he chalked on walls and pavements throughout Dublin, Ireland four letters which he had chosen from random from the alphabet.
The next morning people saw this unusual word and were baffled at it. They were asking one another what it meant.
It was not long until the newspapers began writing about it and the strange sounding word was only the lips of everyone.
Thus the term/word QUIZ was incorporated into the English language as a synonym for ‘questioning’.
He won his argument and left a lasting impression.
Adam’s lasting impression on us was twofold: Condemnation and Consequence
1) Condemnation: Sin effects all 2) Consequence: Sin costs all
Sin effected everybody and the evidence of that is death. We are all born with the disease of sin and the symptom of death.