Summary: WE have to decide if what we believe really matters in the way we live. Our faith is based on our hope in God.
• SLIDE #1 PC VIDEO DEFEAT
• SLIDE #2
• We all need something to hope in, the hope that we have can inspire great faith and confidence.
• Hope and faith are linked very closely together.
• The key I wanted you to take from the clip is this; your actions will follow your beliefs.
• What you believe, what you hope for will direct the outcome of your life.
• SLIDE #3 PC VIDEO
• SLIDE #4
• When it comes to our hope, we have to decide if we are going to BELIEVE IT OR NOT.
• When you think of the whole concept of God it can be overwhelming. Last week we spoke a bit about the eye test.
• For the young man in the clip the eye test told him he would fail, his past experience told him he would fail, yet he reached a moment in which he chose to believe.
• There will come a time when you will face a crossroad in your life where you will have to decide if you are aging to BELIEVE IT OR NOT concerning God.
• In Hebrews 11 we have what has been called the Hebrews Hall of Faith. The chapter lists some of the saints of old and how their faithfulness to God led them to do amazing things.
• What you believe or where you place your hope will determine your actions.
• Let’s turn to Hebrews 11. We will start with verse 1.
• SLIDE #5
• Hebrews 11:1 (ESV) Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.
• SLIDE #6
I. Two attributes of faith. (1)
• One of subtleties of this chapter is that verse 1 gives us more of a definition of what faith DOES verses being a definition of what faith IS.
• Faith can be defined as WHOLE-SOULED TRUST IN GOD’S WORD BECAUSE OF THE SUFFICIENCY OF THE EVIDENCE.
• Real hope and real faith have a relationship with the heart, mind and soul of the one possessing them.
• In verse 1 we have a couple of ways faith is expressed.
• First we see that faith is the assurance of things hoped for.
• Eyesight produces a conviction about objects in the physical word whereas faith produces the same convictions for the spiritual realm.
• Faith displays itself by producing an assurance that what we hope for will come to pass.
• The word translated ASSURANCE is used 5 times and it gives the thought of possessing a title deed to a property.
• Faithfulness is the substructure of all the Christian life involves. When we miss this we miss the heart of the Christian life-style.
• Faithfulness is what we are to build our life on.
• Our faith is the title-deed we hold for the things (promises of God, heaven, eternal life) hoped for.
• Faith is living in a hope that is so real that it gives us absolute assurance in God.
• Faith is not about just wishful thinking. Real hope cannot be based on simply wishful thinking.
• Wishful thinking does not possess ASSURANCE.
• We know God and we act accordingly.
• When you look through chapter 11 all the saints mentioned acted because their faith was more than mental ascent. It was based on assurance of hope.