Summary: After Jacob encountered God at Bethel, his whole life was transformed. God’s desire is that all believers would have a personal, ongoing experience with Jesus that would be a testimony to others of His love and mercy.
BETHEL FOURSQUARE CHURCH
INTRO TO SPEAKER: I have been involved in full time ministry for almost 16 years, married with four children. Currently pasturing BCC, and excited to be a covering to this new church!
JUST FOR FUN – LETTERS TO PASTORS:
*Dear Pastor, I know God loves everybody but He never met my sister. Arnold. Age 8.
*Dear Pastor, I think a lot more people would come to your church if you moved it to Disneyland. Loreen. Age 9.
*Dear Pastor, I liked your sermon on Sunday. Especially when it was finished. Ralph, Age 11.
*Dear Pastor, Please say a prayer for our Little League team. We need God’s help or a new pitcher. Thank you. Alexander. Age 10.
THE BIG IDEA: After Jacob encountered God at Bethel, his whole life was transformed. God’s desire is that all believers would have a personal, ongoing experience with Jesus that would be a testimony to others of His love and mercy.
“Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever.” (Hebrews 13:8).
INTRO: What does it mean to be a Foursquare Gospel Church? Jesus-centered preaching: Jesus as Saviour, Healer, Baptiser in the Holy Spirit, and Soon Coming King.
“10 Now Jacob went out from Beersheba and went toward Haran. 11 So he came to a certain place and stayed there all night, because the sun had set. And he took one of the stones of that place and put it at his head, and he lay down in that place to sleep. 12 Then he dreamed, and behold, a ladder was set up on the earth, and its top reached to heaven; and there the angels of God were ascending and descending on it. 13 And behold, the Lord stood above it and said: "I am the Lord God of Abraham your father and the God of Isaac; the land on which you lie I will give to you and your descendants. 14 Also your descendants shall be as the dust of the earth; you shall spread abroad to the west and the east, to the north and the south; and in you and in your seed all the families of the earth shall be blessed. 15 Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land; for I will not leave you until I have done what I have spoken to you."
16 Then Jacob awoke from his sleep and said, "Surely the Lord is in this place, and I did not know it." 17 And he was afraid and said, "How awesome is this place! This is none other than the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven!" 18 Then Jacob rose early in the morning, and took the stone that he had put at his head, set it up as a pillar, and poured oil on top of it. 19 And he called the name of that place Bethel; but the name of that city had been Luz previously. 20 Then Jacob made a vow, saying, "If God will be with me, and keep me in this way that I am going, and give me bread to eat and clothing to put on, 21 so that I come back to my father’s house in peace, then the Lord shall be my God. 22 And this stone which I have set as a pillar shall be God’s house, and of all that You give me I will surely give a tenth to You.” (Genesis 28:10-22).
LESSONS FROM BETHEL:
1. Jacob came to a ‘certain place’ where the presence of the Lord was. Bethel Foursquare Church is going to be a place where you can encounter the living presence of Jesus.
2. Jacob had a dream of a ladder to Heaven with angels going up and down it. God wants us to experience the supernatural, prophetic realm.
3. God revealed Himself to Jacob. God wants to reveal Himself to us through Jesus.
4. God promised to be with Jacob, and protect Him. God will be with us and protect us.
5. Jacob recognized the presence of the Lord was in that place. “How awesome is this place! This is the house of God.” We need to have that same awe for church.
6. Jacob anointed that place. We need to be anointed by the power of the Holy Spirit.
7. Jacob made a vow to the Lord:
• He said, “God will be my God.” We need a personal relationship with Jesus.
• He said, “This will be His house.” We need to remember whose house this is.
• He said, “I will honour Him with a tenth.” We need to honour God with our lives.
TEXT: “God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power, who went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil…” (Acts 10:38).