Summary: what if we get to Heaven and find out God let everyone in?
Better Late than Never
1. What if we got to heaven & found out God let everyone in?
Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Republicans, Democrats,
doctors, dope pushers, lawyers, merchants, murderers. Everyone!
I think I would go WAIT A MINUTE!
2. What about our faith? Our belief in Jesus? Didn’t Jesus say “no
one comes to the Father but by me?” What about the really rotten
people - the Hitlers, Stalins, Saddam Hussein?
3. We act shocked that God doesn’t understand our way of thinking.
Doesn’t God know that those who’ve hurt others should be hurt in
kind? Cause & effect? Labor/wages? Study/grades? Hard
work/success? Doesn’t God understand concept of fairness?
4. Not fair young couples do right thing-go to college, marry, begin
family, wait for home, income, all the rest. Not fair bogged down
debt of ins./hospital bills when those who do none of these things,
don’t wait for education, marriage, income, have babies & rest of us
pay for them. Not fair.
5. Not fair middle class citizen of U.S. pays more taxes than IBM,
Microsoft, AT&T combined. Not fair. Some of us work fingers to
bone to provide home for our families, gov’t provides home to those
who don’t work. Not fair.
6. Not fair congress votes to give themselves annual pension of 100K
when avg. gov’t worker gets maybe 12K.
7. Not fair all of us here committed to this church, sacrifice to give
money to church, give up free time to give energy to church. We
struggle to live as God wants us to, then God forgives worst sinner
at last moment of life, never done anything for anyone. Not fair.
8. Tell Cody life’s not fair. Fairness concept God threw out door
when Jesus was nailed to cross. God said instead of fairness, we’re
gonna operate on mercy. Mercy basis of relationship with God.
9. What if we got to heaven & found God let everyone in? Decision
has already been made. Too bad, some will decide not to come in but
that decision will be theirs, not Jonah’s, not mine, not yours.
10. Grape harvest ripens end of Sept. Right behind comes rain. If
not harvested before rains, ruined. Frantic race. Landowner go to
marketplace pick you, you, you, you, & you. Agree am’t to work for.
End of day - paid. No surprise, thought unfair. read Matt. 20:12-15
Then Jesus said-verse 16. What if we get to heaven.......
11. Gospel of Matt. like that. Matt. perfectionist,
stickler for rules/regulations. Action/consequences. Go to church/be
reminded of rules, do what Jesus would do, read bible, pray for
others, take vitamins, keep nose clean, you’ll be ok. Grace? yes but
get out of line, God will get you. Matt. was probably a hall monitor.
12. Unskilled labor-bottom of socioeconomic scale. Hard work to
work in vineyard. terraced hillside. dig tiers, stones,good soil.
Grapes slow to ripen, cuts short time for harvest. Hectic time.
13. Pay = to Roman soldier. Higher up social ladder. generous.
14. Marketplace-emp. office. came early to get job. Later trusted
owner to “do what was right” Rural comm. Man of word.
15. Mr. Gallo illustration.
16. We can understand complaint. Real problem- “you have made