Summary: Spiritual dogs may be friendly but very dangerous to the soul.
Finally, my brethren, rejoice in the Lord. To write the same things to you, to me indeed is not grievous, but for you it is safe. Beware of dogs,
1. When I read this scripture I always think of the big signs usually posted on fences “BEWARE OF DOGS”.
2. Immediately you would have in your mind a visual picture of either a Pit Bull, Doberman or Rockweiller.
3. But what if I asked the question tonight, “WHAT DO YOU THINK OF A DOG?”
4. Many would say, “He’s man’s best friend”.
5. You might describe many types of dogs.
6. You might remember dogs you had as a kid.
I had a Brittany spaniel, his name was “FRECKLES”. He was a good dog. One day my brother brought home a German shepherd puppy. Freckles seemed “jealous”. Our neighbor watched as Freckles led the puppy into traffic – It was premeditated MURDER.
When FRECKLES got old and died, I, being a typical kid,went to the pound and brought home a new pet. His name was “Barney” – part Great Dane and Saint Bernard. He could catch a basketball in his mouth. We thought he’d make a good watchdog. Unfortunately, he attacked a meter reader. My dad almost got sued because of the dog.
7. Dogs can be your best friends and get you into a lot of trouble.
As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly.
1. My dog Freckles would lick up his own vomit. That was gross – but worse I think is we never had to clean out the kitty litter box – Freckles would beat us to it.
2. That is the nature of the dog and the Bible likens it to a fool.
3. Not only going back to his own mess, but enjoying the messes made by others.
Thou therefore, O LORD God of hosts, the God of Israel, awake to visit all the heathen: be not merciful to any wicked transgressors. Selah
They return at evening: they make a noise like a dog, and go round about the city.
1. Have you ever been around a pack of dogs? They like to roam around.
2. It can be dangerous. If one dog decides to attack –the rest follow suit.
3. We heard of the sad story last year of the US Census worker in Brown County, Indiana who was killed by dogs.
4. It is something when dogs get together, especially at night …the howling and carrying on.
5. The heathen are like dogs. They like to make a lot of noise.
Deliver my soul from the sword; my darling from the power of the dog.
1. “MY DARLING” is also translated as “MY ONLY LIFE”.
2. You better consider your life as your darling – because this is the only chance you will have.
3. The DOGS in this represent the “AGENTS OF DESTRUCTION”.
4. You’ve got to take heed - “BEWARE OF DOGS”.
Thou shalt not bring the hire of a whore, or the price of a dog, into the house of the LORD thy God for any vow: for even both these are abomination unto the LORD thy God.
1. The breed of dog mentioned here was a “SODOMITE PROSITUTE”.
2. You can’t bring sexual sins into the house of the Lord, and think that God will accept your offerings.
3. There are these kind of dogs that try to become pets of the church