Summary: If you have a Bible, you are blessed with a precious treasure. Cherish it. Read it. Learn it. Love it. Live it
Pastor Allan Kircher
Shell Point Baptist Church
8 June 2014
THE BLADE OF THE SPIRIT
Intro: Today, we will consider the final piece of the “the whole armor of God.”
• Our enemy, “the devil,” does not want us to have anything that we have been given by God
• everything in His power/take away those blessings from us
• there/some things/devil can’t take away
• He will attempt to nullify/blessings/God he cannot steal!
Today, we will consider the final piece of that armor
• Blade Of The Spirit
• Told/Blade of the Spirit is “the Word of God.”
Let’s examine last piece armor and discover how “the Word of God” can empower us/enable us/overcome our enemy the devil.
THE IDENTITY OF THE BLADE - two words used “sword” in/NT
• Rhomphaia - (hrom-fah´-yah)
• word speaks of a long, broad sword
• image that come to mind when we think of a sword
• Tend to picture a sword/being long, broad/double-edged. That is what this word refers to.
• used in hand to hand combat for slashing at ones enemy
• Machaira - (makh’-ahee-rah)
• Refers/knife/short sword carried/Roman soldier
• six to eighteen inches
• hand to hand combat to stab the enemy
• typical strike would be in the abdominal area
• that day, abdominal wounds were nearly always fatal
• Sword/called “gladius” by the Romans.
Word Paul uses here in the second word
• He/thinking/short sword carried/every Roman foot soldier
• soldier’s principle weapon in hand to hand combat
• Always available and ready for use.
• kind of sword Peter used to cut off the ear of Malchus
• Servant of the high priest….
• Herod’s executioners used to martyr James, Acts 12:2.
The sword Paul has in mind is not a physical sword.
• Paul identifies this “sword” as “the sword of the Spirit”
• Which is the word of God.
• “Sword” is a spiritual weapon used/believer in and out spiritual conflict with Satan.
• reminds us that the Bible is not a manmade book
• Bible is a spiritual book, came to us from Spirit of God.
“All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.” 2 Tim. 3:16–17.
I would remind you today/Bible in your hand is no ordinary book.
• Is the Word of God.
• Is inspired by God.
• is infallible, and it is inerrant
• can be trusted
• Can be believed
• The very words of God.
In its pages we find:
• The truth of Who God is.
• The truth of who we are.
• The very mind of God.
• The identity of our Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ.