Summary: Heads of families are encouraged to rise up and bless their families.
Bless Your Family
9) But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light; 10) Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.
1. We have a responsibility to affirm and bless our families
a. The Heavenly Father affirmed and blessed His son when Jesus was baptized in
16) And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: 17) And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
b. Again on the Mount of Transfiguration, the Father commended his Son in Matthew
While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.
Note: If God will bless and affirm His Son, then we should bless and affirm our children.
2. Also, we are to teach and instruct our families
a. Let us look at Deuteronomy 6 at the instruction given to Israel concerning family
i. v1...You are to be taught the desires of God, so you can do them.
1) Now these are the commandments, the statutes, and the judgments, which the LORD your God commanded to teach you, that ye might do them in the land whither ye go to possess it:
ii. God teaches us His laws by his Spirit so
v2...We might fear (respect) the LORD thy God,
v2...We might…keep all his statutes and his commandments, which He has
v2...Our children and their children will keep His commandments all the days of
v2...You and your children, in doing what I desire may have you days
iii. God gives a challenge and a promise when He says in
1) The challenge is
v3...Hear therefore, O Israel, and observe to do it;
2) The blessing are
v3...That it may be well with thee, and
v3...That you may increase mightily, as the LORD God of thy fathers hath
promised thee, in the land that floweth with milk and honey.
iv. Then God declares who He is, and what we are to do
v4...Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:
v5...Thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy
soul, and with all thy might.
v6. These words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:
v7...Thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and
v7...Thou…shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and
v7...Thou shalt talk of them…when thou walkest by the way, and
v7...Thou shalt talk of them…when thou liest down, and
v7...Thou shalt talk of them…when thou risest up.
v8...Thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thine hand, and
v8...These words which I command thee…shall be as frontlets between thine
v9...The words which I command thee…shalt be written upon the posts of thy