Summary: Our text today revealed to us the tremendous blessings that God has provided and available to Christians. I. GOD HAS REDEEMED US – (v. 7a); II. GOD HAS FORGIVEN US – (v. 7b-8); III. GOD HAS REVEALED HIS WILL TO US – (v. 9-10); IV. GOD HAS GIVEN US AN INH
THE BLESSINGS FROM GOD
Our text today revealed to us the tremendous blessings that God has provided and available to Christians.
I. GOD HAS REDEEMED US – (v. 7a)
• Redemption literally means deliverance as a result of the payment of ransom.
• This implies:
Emancipation-from the guilt, punishment, and power of sin (John 8:34, Rom. 7:14, Gal. 3:13) Restoration
Restoration-to true liberty – John 8:36
Note: We now see how God could carry out His choice to have a people who are holy and without blame, adopted as sons unto Him, when all He had to work with were “sinners”. Through the death of Jesus and the shedding of His blood, God was just to “redeem” or “deliver” sinners from the bondage of sin! There is another way to express what God has done to make it possible for us to be “holy and blameless in His sight”, and that is, through His Son…
II. GOD HAS FORGIVEN US – (v. 7b-8)
• The word forgiveness has several shades of meaning including:
Release from bondage or imprisonment
Forgiveness of sins and remission of the penalty
• What has been forgiven are our sins
• Through Jesus Christ blood, we can obtain pardon from such things, and be holy and blameless.
• The basis for both redemption and forgiveness is God’s grace (v. 7c-8 and Titus 3:3-7)
• This wonderful grace is manifested by God in all…
Wisdom – from the Greek word sophia. Sophia is defined by Hendriksen as “that ability to apply knowledge to the best advantage, enabling a person to use the most effective means for the attainment of the highest goal.” In God’s case, His wisdom is often beyond the capability of man to find out on his own – Rom. 11:33
Understanding – Meaning mental action or activity, i.e. intellectual insight
• According to His wisdom, knowledge, and grace, God has provided “redemption” and “forgiveness” through the blood of His dear son! But there is more! While wisdom is often beyond the ability of man to find out on his own, through His son…
III. GOD HAS REVEALED HIS WILL TO US – (v. 9-10)
• He has made known to us the mystery of His will.
1. As explained by Paul later in the Epistle (Eph. 3:3-5), this mystery was not made known to mankind in other generations (3:5a). But now has been revealed by the Spirit to the apostles and prophets – 3:5b, Rom. 16:25-27
2. Making known the mystery of His will is due to His good pleasure, which he purposed in Christ. Just as it pleased God in predetermining to adopt us as sons through Jesus Christ (1:5)
• The will of God that is now revealed pertains to what God had planned to accomplish in Jesus Christ.
1. God’s plan was to be put into effect when the times will have reached their fulfillment (10a)
2. God’s plan was to bring all things in heaven and on earth together under one head, even Christ.
BW Johnson comments: “He might gather in one all things in Christ. That the scattered families and tribes of men, both Jews and Gentiles, should all be gathered and united under one head, Christ. Nay, not only men, but angels…”