Summary: The disciples on the road to Emmaus encounter these blessings given by the stranger: The stranger blesses by talking, he blesses by listening, he blesses by unveiling, he blesses by staying with us, and he blesses by walking with us.
“Blessings from The Stranger” Luke 24:13-35
1. The stranger blesses by walking and talking to the Disciples on the road to Emmaus
• 17The Stranger asked the disciples, "What are you discussing?" The Disciples faces were downcast then Cleopus asked him don’t you know or have you not heard what has happened? The stranger says, What has
happened? They told the stranger it’s about what happened to Jesus of Nazareth .
• The disciples told the Stranger that they had witnessed the killing of their leader who was a
Prophet with great Power. He even had Power with his words and Power in his Mighty acts
• They tell the stranger, “20The chief priests handed him over to be sentenced to death, and they crucified him
• Even during this horrible loss they still feel a comfort because of the Strangers words
• I believe The Stranger still talks to us as we journey I believe he talked to Adam in the cool of
the day and I believe he talks to me.
• The Stranger talks to Noah about building an ark for the saving of his household he talks
• to us today about making disciples for the transformation of the world.
• A Stranger talked to Moses through a burning bush now brought tremendous blessing on a
people in slavery
• Paul heard the voice of the stranger on the way to Damascus Pauls writings have blessed
many many people.
2. The Stranger blesses by Listening “21Jesus listened the disciples said, He was the one who was going to redeem us
• They told the stranger it is the 3rd day , the women went to the tomb but did not see or find his body ,
• The women told us they saw a vision of angel who said, “Jesus is alive”.
• Some of his companions went to the tomb to see and they found it empty , but they did not see him.
• The Stranger just listened
3. The Stranger Blesses By Unveiling Scriptures
• Vs 25 The Stranger said, “Now listen don’t be foolish and slow of heart or hard to understand, shouldn’t you believe all that the prophets have said. Those prophets spoke of his coming, his rejection, his death, his burial, and his resurrection.”
• The stranger unveils hope in a desperate situation by bringing clarity from the Word
4. The Stranger blesses by Staying with us
• 28The disciples are near a village and Jesus acted as if he were going on, but they urged him strongly to
“Stay with Us” so the stranger did stay with them.
• The Stranger stays with us when we are faced with hopelessness He stays with us when we struggle with doubt and helplessness, The Stranger will never leave us nor forsake us
• The stranger desires to break bread with us 30When he was at the table with them, he took bread, gave thanks, broke it and began to give it to them. 31Then their eyes were opened and they recognized him, during the table he stays with us we encounter his presence in the breaking of bread
• The stranger stays with us that our hearts might burn "Were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?"