Summary: The phrase “Blessed be the Lord” is an act of worship. Many believe that it was composed in connection with the removal of the Ark from the house of Obed-edom to Mt. Zion (II Sam. 6) when David danced before the Ark.
BLESSINGS OF GOD’S BENEFITS--PSALM 68:19
Introduction: The phrase “Blessed be the Lord” is an act of worship. Many believe that it was composed in connection with the removal of the Ark from the house of Obed-edom to Mt. Zion (II Sam. 6) when David danced before the Ark.
1. There are Three Major Thoughts in this verse:
I. BENEFITS--word means “profits”, “compensations”, “rewards”in the sense He delivers His people from every danger.
A. Three Ways
1. Removes the Dangers or Rescues His people from them.
a. Acts 12:2-20--Like when He removed Peter from Prison before they could cut his head off.
b. Many times we praise God for Deliverance, but have we ever Blessed Him for the dangers we never got into.
2. Keeps them Safe in the midst of the Dangers
a. Like Joseph in Egypt, Daniel in the den of lions, and the three Hebrew children in the furnace of fire.
b. Psa. 91:7 “A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.”
3. Gives them the Victory over the Dangers
a. Like Stephen (Acts 7:59,60)
b. Like Paul (II Tim. 4:6-8)
c. Illustration-- “You can’t threaten a Christian with Heaven”
II. LOADETH-word means to “impose a burden” or a “heavy burden”
A. Figuratively something that weighs heavily on the mind or spirit
1. Literally--God gives us more “Benefits” than we can carry.
a. Illustrate--Like the Lad with the Five Loaves and Two Fishes received 12 Basketfuls.
2. Five Times--David Describes How God has Benefited Israel
a. A Loving Father--Vs. 5,6
b. A Mighty Leader--Vs. 7
c. A Concerned Helper--Vs. 9
d. A Merciful Friend--Vs. 19
e. A Saving Redeemer--Vs. 20
III. DAILY-- “every day”
A. Faithfulness of God-Lam. 3:22--23 “It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his
compassions fail not. They are new every monring: great is thy faithfulness.”
1. Deut. 7:9-- “Know therefore that the Lord thy God, he is God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and
mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations”
3. Illustration: Did God rule the world yesterday? Will He rule it after we’re gone? Why not let Him rule today
4. Trust Him-God is too wise to make a mistake, too good to do evil.
5. Illustration--A Radio announcer once asked Leo Durocher, manager of the New York Giants, “Barring the
unforeseen, Leo will your club get the pennant? Back came Durocher’s reply, “There ain’t gonna be no