Summary: There is wonder working power in the blood of the Lamb!
Intro: The blood in our veins is the world’s most amazing medicine for certain sicknesses like cancer, hemophilia, and some cases of AIDS. Blood and the medicines made from it, are saving more lives than any one drug that science has ever discovered, and there is still much to learn in how to use blood in the fight against disease. Blood has always fascinated man, and he has been prying into its mysteries for centuries.
In the year 1628, Sir William Harvey, an English scientist, discovered that the blood was a "river of life" flowing around in the body. Thereafter, doctors tried for the first time to replace lost blood with blood of other humans, and animals. Often the patients died, but occasionally a life was saved. However, failures were so common, that during the 17th century, laws were passed forbidding transfusions of blood.
It was in the year 1900, that a German scientist, Dr. Karl Lansteiner, discovered that there are four types of human blood namely, A, B, AB and O. This unlocked the door to successful blood transfusions, for it was learned that if blood from a donor of one of these groups, was given to a patient of the same group, no harm could be done. Thereafter, many blood transfusions were made and many lives were saved.
People with Type O-negative are the “universal donors” as their blood can be given to people of all other types. However, people with Type O-negative (10% of the population) can only receive O-negative blood in return. People with Type AB-positive blood are the “universal recipients” as they can receive any other type of blood. It was not until 1915, when two American scientists, Peyton Rous, and Joseph Turner discovered a solution which, when mixed with blood, would keep it from clotting.
Now, blood could be preserved or "canned" for emergency and future use, and the first blood bank was established by an English army surgeon Oswald Robertson, back of the Allied army lines in France in 1917, resulting in what we have today in the various community "blood banks," which are endeavoring to serve their area day and night, which have as their slogan, "BLOOD IS LIFE – HELP SAVE A LIFE.” Yes, "blood is life," and this truth is verified in God’s Word.
One of the greatest Bible subjects “Blood” which is the very life of the Christian faith. This brings us to the subject of the "world’s greatest blood donor," and none other than God’s own Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, who willingly and sacrificially gave His own blood, so that we poor guilty sinners might have eternal life. When Cain murdered his brother Abel look what the the Lord said in Gen. 4:10. Yes, blood cries and speaks!
1. BLOOD SPEAKS OF LIFE (Lev. 17:11)
The driving force of all physical life is blood while the source of everlasting life is the blood of Christ. See the connection of soul with blood at death (Gen. 35:18; cf. Matt. 26:28; Heb. 13:12, etc. vs. Isa. 53:10). The Bible seems to teach that the soul animates or controls the circulation of human blood.
2. BLOOD SPEAKS OF CLEANSING (I John 1:7; Rev. 1:5; 12:11a). A dual purpose of physical human blood is to dispose waste & toxins & supply oxygen & energy throughout the body organs. Likewise, the blood of Christ cleanses us from all sin & empowers us to have victory over sin and the devil.
3. BLOOD SPEAKS OF VALUE (I Pet. 1:18-19; Acts 20:28). We were bought & redeemed with the most precious fluid in the universe – the blood of God Himself!
4. BLOOD SPEAKS OF ONENESS (Eph. 2:13). Bridge the gap of separation between a holy God & sinful, fallen man. Calvary is the meeting place of heaven & earth when the Son of God reconciled us to the Father while He hang on the cross!
5. BLOOD SPEAKS OF IDENTITY (Exo. 12:13 cf. I Cor. 5:7). Christ the Lamb of God has become our Passover. God says, WHEN I SEE THE BLOOD, I WILL PASS OVER YOU!
Conclusion: Friend, like the old-time Gospel hymn says, “Are you washed in the blood, in the soul-cleansing blood of the Lamb? Are your garments spotless, are they white as snow? Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb?” Jesus Christ is the Lamb of God Who alone can forgive and take away your sins.