Summary: If we are to keep what we have received from the Lord, we must “stand” and hold on to the critical ground we have received from the Lord.
Pastor Allan Kircher
Shell Point Baptist Church
THE BOOTS OF PEACE
Remember, this is a prison epistle.
• Paul wrote/Rome/house arrest, awaiting trial and execution
• beheaded. History/chained/Roman guard 24 hours per day
• 6 hour shifts
• writes/whole armor of God
• He's looking at a Roman soldier.
Perhaps God used this as He led Paul to write about putting on the belt of truth--' the breastplate of righteousness.
Next, Paul looks at that unique sandal that guard is wearing, and says what he says in v. 15.
Continue/study “the whole armor of God,”
• Need/reminded why this is such an important topic.
• V. 10-13 introduce/subject/spiritual warfare
• Told/saints of God/engaged/great cosmic battle against a powerful, relentless enemy.
• Our enemy is called “the devil,” v 11.
• Our enemy is said to employ “wiles,” v. 11
Refers “the tricks, schemes, and methods” the devil uses to undermine the faith of the saints, and to attack the glory of God.
God’s command His people/they “stand” against/attacks/enemy
• Word “stand” is a military term
• “To hold a critical position during a time of enemy attack.”
• Image of “a soldier refusing to yield even one inch of ground to an attacking foe.”
Not the image of someone on the offensive, but rather, it is the picture of a soldier on the defensive, protecting the ground that has already been won.
God had given His people some very precious possessions.
• Given us truth/church/Word/grace/salvation/blessing
• the devil wants all of it
• stop/nothing take everything we have been given by/Lord
If we are to keep what we have received from the Lord, we must “stand” and hold on to the critical ground we have received from the Lord.
• To do/God says we must “put on the whole armor of God.”
• already discussed/Belt Of Truth/Breastplate Righteousness.
Belt Of Truth
• Life of total commitment to the Lord
• life that is built upon faithfulness/Word of God
• speaks/truth in testimony and truth in living
Breastplate Of Righteousness
• power of a holy life
• life/lived according teachings/God in His Word
Today/continue to discuss Spirit-Filled Warfare/consider The Boots Of Peace.
Let’s examine what Paul means when he says that we are to “stand” with our “feet shod with the preparation/Gospel/peace.”
I. WHY THESE BOOTS ARE DESIRED
We take shoes for granted, but they are a very important part of our apparel
• Different shoes for nearly every kind of activity.
• I have dress shoes/casual shoes/work shoes
• Shoes when I go running. I have lots of shoes.
• My wife has lots more shoes than I do.
• What I plan to do/given day determines/type/shoes I put on.