Summary: Transformation (metamorphosis) -A change in the life of a creature. What is inside produces a total transformation on the outside
In 1502 in Florence Italy there was a large block of marble given to a church in Santa Maria, the church immediately hired who they thought was a professional to sculpt this enormously huge piece of rock. The man was not a professional and soon after commencing this great task the man drilled a whole right at the bottom destroying this magnificent piece of marble so that the church decided just to drape a huge sheet over it not know what else to do, since it had been damaged beyond recognition and repair. A certain man, Michelangelo caught word of this large stone and how it had been destroyed, so out of curiosity he went to check it out and thought "hey I think i can do something here" and after time he began to work and sculpt; and what was once thought to be a lost cause became one of the greatest statues of David ever built. There are people today who feel like that gigantic slab of marble, things have been done to them and something is broken inside. But in the capable hands of the Master, I can be molded into all that Jesus has called me to be.
Goes back to verse 1 – “I beseech you” (Listen Up, I Urge, I Beg)
God’s mercy is beyond description
So present your bodies
Being Conformed – v.2
“Conformed” Being shaped, molded by the things around you
Trapped by scheme, a shame
- So we keep up with the current trends and fashions.
- It’s the pursuit of staying "cool"
- Letting advertising telling you what to buy
- The world gives the idea of being rich, attractive, influential, or famous, we will be happy and content.
- None of things guarantee joy.
- Don't let culture shape your values & priorities
Galatians 5:19–21 (AV)
19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery “unfaithful in marriage”, fornication “sex outside of marriage”, uncleanness impure motives, lasciviousness “lust”,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft “occult”, hatred, variance “trouble maker”, emulations “being jealous”, wrath “uncontrolled anger”, strife “causing division”, seditions “defiance”, heresies “wrong doctrine”,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings “wild parties”, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
Gk. μεταμορφόω metamorphoo - English word metamorphosis
A change in the life of a creature
What is inside produces a total transformation on the outside
• Tadpole into a frog
• Caterpillar into a butterfly
• Nymph into a dragonfly
• Salmon from freshwater environment to saltwater environment
- Only 4x Mt. 17:2, Mk 9:2 – same account Ro. 12:2, 2Co.3:18
Mk. uses the same word for transfiguration of Jesus
Mark 9:2–3 (ESV)
2 …. he was transfigured before them, 3 and his clothes became radiant, intensely white, as no one on earth could bleach them.
- When Jesus transforms (metamorphoo) our lives we become completely different
- We become what Jesus intends us to be in the first place
2 Corinthians 3:18 (AV)
18 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed (metamorphoo) into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.
2 Corinthians 3:18 (The Message)
18 All of us! Nothing between us and God, our faces shining with the brightness of his face. And so we are transfigured (metamorphoo) much like the Messiah, our lives gradually becoming brighter and more beautiful as God enters our lives and we become like him.
Renovation - Renewing of the Mind
A decisive change in thinking
As in renovating, to rip out the old and put in the new.
- Look at the self life
Titus 3:3–5 (AV)
3 For we ourselves also were sometimes foolish, stupid disobedient, deceived, serving divers lusts enslaved to various passions and pleasures, living in malice we were mean and envy jealous, hateful we were hated, and hating one another.
4 But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared,
5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration new birth, and renewing (metamorphoo) of the Holy Ghost;
• It will not happen by accident
• It happens when we make a personal commitment
• It does not happen overnight
• It cannot happen without help (Holy Spirit)
• It happens with the godly encouragement of others
• It happens as we behold the glory of Jesus Christ
- Renewing takes time & determination making a habit of holiness
• Fill your mind with Scripture.
• Apply biblical truth to your heart