Summary: The transformation of Peter by the power of the Holy Spirit
BREAKTHROUGH AND BREAKOUT
ACTS 5: 12~ 42
1. The Transformation of Peter. The real breakthrough in this chapter is the complete transformation of Pete. We are probably all familiar with the legendary outspoken, put your foot in it Peter.
2. How did Peter become fearless in the face of persecution, opposition, imprisonment, and punishment?
3. How did Peter become empowered to perform amazing signs and wonders so that people would even bring out their sick believing his shadow would heal them?
4. This breakthrough wasn’t due to the Crucifixion. We know at this time Peter had experienced utter failure denying his Lord three times.
· Yes he was a believer.
· Yes the Blood of Jesus, God The Son paid the price for his and our sins.
· Yet he was just a broken man “Sifted as Wheat”. (“Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers.” Luke 22:31~32).
5. This breakthrough was not due to the Resurrection. We read in John 20 verse 19 that along with the other disciples Peter was hidden behind closed doors for fear of the Jews. (“…the disciples were together, with the doors locked for fear of the Jews.”)
· Yes the Resurrection showed God the Father was completely satisfied with the price his Son paid at the Cross. (Are you? The Gospel John 3:16)). (“He (Jesus) was delivered over to death for our sins and was raised to life for our justification” Romans 4:25)
· Yes Peter knew that the crucified Lord was alive. And that he was forgiven reconciled and commissioned to feed the Master’s sheep. (see John 21:15~17 “Do you love me … feed my sheep”).
· Yet Peter was not out there preaching the gospel, performing miracles ~ he was hidden away inside! Paralysed. Powerless.
6. So what caused the breakthrough?
Peter was just an ordinary guy, a fisherman from Galilee, with many weaknesses and fears, just like us.When the heat was on Peter wanted to dive into the shadows. To go undercover. Oh he knew Jesus was who he claimed to be but sadly Peter was not able to do the work...The stuff us Christians are suppose to do...Why is it, we withdraw to the comfort zone when the pressure is on?....
Its because thats the thing we do as humans.
Its only when we ask for God to give us an engine (Holy Spirit power) things start to happen
Recently on a mission trip to Havana in Cuba, I was fortunate to have a ride in a pink 50s style Cadillac. I was absolutely dumbstruck looking at this immaculate vehicle. We hopped inside awaiting the roar of the engine, instead it sounded more like a tractor than a Cadillac. The trouble is in Cuba they have the vehicle but can’t get the spare parts to fix them when they go wrong. They will use absolutely anything, washing machines thru to tractor engines to get the vehicle running. Just like us sometimes, we can be born again, we can be saved by the blood of Jesus Christ, but we are not empowered. We need the transforming power of the Holy Spirit in order to become effective Cadillac Christians.