Summary: God sent his son into the world to unite people to him and to one another. He came to bridge the gaps that separate us.
1. A little girl called out, "Mommy, you know that vase in the china cabinet, the one that’s been handed down from generation to generation?" Yes, dear, I know which one you mean, what about it? "Well, Mommy, I’m sorry, but this generation just dropped it!"
2. The term “Generation Gap” was made popular back in the 1960’s – Hippies; Height-Ashbury in San Francisco; Bell Bottoms; Burning Draft Cards; Free Love; Free Speech
3. The Gap Continues:
• In the 1950’s – we had Leave it to Beaver and Ozzie and Harriet with wholesome, instructional programming – today we have a new Ozzie – Osborne with dysfunctional nonsense
• In the 1960’s we had Mayberry – if it was made today, it would have to be “Gay”-berry;
• Generations have Gaps; Sexual-Orientation has produced gaps; Genders (Women at RNC); Family status; et al
4. Yeshua (Jesus) came to close gaps:
Behold, the LORD's hand is not shortened, that it cannot save,
or his ear dull, that it cannot hear;
2 but your iniquities have made a separation
between you and your God,
and your sins have hidden his face from you
so that he does not hear. Isaiah 59.1-2
31 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32 He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? 33 Who shall bring any charge against God's elect? It is God who justifies. 34 Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised— who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us. 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? 36 As it is written,
“For your sake we are being killed all the day long;
we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.”
37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8.31-39
5. Galatians 3.21-27
I. Bridging the God-Man Gap
A. Learning from the Law (Psalm 1)
1. God Shows His Standards by His Law
11 I will remember the deeds of the LORD;
yes, I will remember your wonders of old.
12 I will ponder all your work,
and meditate on your mighty deeds.
13 Your way, O God, is holy.
What god is great like our God?
14 You are the God who works wonders;
you have made known your might among the peoples.
15 You with your arm redeemed your people,
the children of Jacob and Joseph. Selah Psalm 77.11-15
2. God Sets His Standards by His Law
a. Right and Wrong; Blessing and Cursing
b. Includes a means of atonement – Yom Kippur; sacrificial system
c. Became a perversion of legalism – Sabbath; Kosher; Circumcision
B. Foundations of Faith in Pointing to Yeshua (Jesus) (3.23-25)
1. Yeshua (Jesus) is the Model of the Torah – Romans 10.4
For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes. (ESV)
For the goal at which the Torah aims is the Messiah, who offers righteousness to everyone who trusts. (CJB)
[Goal Line – End Zone in Football
[Charlie Brown was upset over the fact that his baseball team could not win a game; Linus attempted to comfort him by saying, “Charlie Brown, winning is not everything.” To which he replied, “Yeah, but losing isn’t anything.”
2. Yeshua (Jesus) is the Fulfillment of the Torah (including ultimate sacrifice) –
17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. Matthew 5.17-18
3. Yeshua (Jesus) is Our Hope, NOT our works or best efforts – Ephesians 4.4-7
4 There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call— 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6 one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. 7 But grace was given to each one of us according to the measure of Christ's gift.
II. Bridging the People Gap
A. Yeshua (Jesus) Creates Children of God – by Faith