Summary: Bringing Back the King
2 Sam. 19:9-20:1 Bringing Back the King
I. THE RIGHTFUL KING OF ISRAEL - 9 And all the people were at strife throughout all the tribes of Israel, saying, The king saved us out of the hand of our enemies, and he delivered us out of the hand of the Philistines; and now he is fled out of the land for Absalom. 10 And Absalom, whom we anointed over us, is dead in battle. Now therefore why speak ye not a word of bringing the king back?
Jesus Christ is the rightful King. He is the appointed King, the anointed King, the approved King.
Heb. 1:8 But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom. II. THE REJECTED KING OF ISRAEL - 9 And all the people were at strife throughout all the tribes of Israel, saying, The king saved us out of the hand of our enemies, and he delivered us out of the hand of the Philistines; and now he is fled out of the land for Absalom.
David was rejected by his people; the Lord was also rejected.
John 1:11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not. 12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: III. THE RETURNING KING OF ISRAEL - 11 And king David sent to Zadok and to Abiathar the priests, saying, Speak unto the elders of Judah, saying, Why are ye the last to bring the king back to his house?
Phil 3:20 For our conversation (citizenship) is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ: 21 Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself. IV. THE REIGNING KING KING OF ISRAEL - 11 And king David sent to Zadok and to Abiathar the priests, saying, Speak unto the elders of Judah, saying, Why are ye the last to bring the king back to his house?
(1) WILL YOU BE WORRIED? V.16-23 -
1. Ziba. (2Sam.16:1-4). * When David left Jerusalem, Ziba came to the king & brought him food slandering Mephibosheth, and obtaining his property under false pretenses. * Ziba lied to the king & attempted to deceive him.
By cursing David, Shimei was guilty of blasphemy and worthy of death, yet he received mercy in that David refused Abishai permission to kill him.
Will you be worried when Jesus comes?
Eccl.11:9 Rejoice, O young man, in thy youth; and let thy heart cheer thee in the days of thy youth, and walk in the ways of thine heart, and in the sight of thine eyes: but know thou, that for all these things God will bring thee into judgment.
Jesus Himself said in Matt.24:44 "Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh."
(2) WILL YOU BE WAITING? V.24-30
3. Mephibosheth - When Mephibosheth comes out to meet the king, he hasn’t washed or shaved since the day David left, mourning the king’s absence & waiting for his return!
David had spared this cripple, and took him into his own family as one of his own sons. * He only cared about being with the king!
Heb. 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: 28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.
(3) WILL YOU BE WORKING? V.31-40
4. Barzillai - He is glad that the king has returned & even though he is 80 years old, he still comes down to welcome the king home!
* Barzillai was faithful & kept giving, & working until the king returned!
(4) WILL YOU BE WITHOUT? 20:1 And there happened to be there a man of Belial, whose name was Sheba, the son of Bichri, a Benjamite: and he blew a trumpet, and said, We have no part in David, neither have we inheritance in the son of Jesse: every man to his tents, O Israel.
5. Sheba hated David and tried to cause Israel to follow him in rebellion
In response, David’s generals went after Sheba & he was finally killed!
How will you meet the King? would you be worried?
* Would you be found waiting? * Would you be found working?
* Or would you be found without?