Summary: When you’re weary, weak, confused and just don’t know what to do… build a Fire!
“Build A Fire”
Acts 28: 1-10
INTRO: 1. I believe that there is nothing in this book that is insignificant.
a. If we truly believe that God orchestrated everything in the life of Paul, we must also believe that even the smallest detail is ordained by God.
b. In my ministry, I’ve discovered some of the most profound truths are in the details of God’s word.
2. Nothing that happened on this tiny island here was by chance… God was orchestrating it all.
3. The ’when’ of this event was significant…they had just survived what had to be one of the most traumatic events of their lives… caught for weeks in a terrifying storm and finally shipwrecked on the shore of this strange little island.
a. We must come to realize that on the other side of the storm God may not bring us to a resort paradise, but to a place where we can be a blessing to others.
4. The ’where’ of this event was significant
a. Not by chance that they landed on this island… an island of pagans who had never heard of this man called Jesus.
b. Often we’re so busy licking our scars and talking about the storm that we miss the real opportunity to make a difference for God.
5. What they did on this island was significant as well… down to the smallest detail.
a. Notice what the first thing they did when they found themselves on this island.
Vs. 2,3 And the barbarous people showed us no little kindness: for they kindled a fire, and received us every one, because of the present rain, and because of the cold. And when Paul had gathered a bundle of sticks, and laid them on the fire, there came a viper out of the heat, and fastened on his hand.
b. They were tired, weary, their strength was spent, they where in a confusing place and situation… but they took time to build a fire.
c. The fire would comfort them.
d. The fire would change their condition. (Cold and Wet, Warm)
e. The fire would mark them… tell others where to find them.
f. The fire would guard them from the elements (Rainy)
c. I believe herein lies a spiritual key for our life.
6. When you’re weary, weak, confused and just don’t know what to do… build a Fire!
a. Stir up those Holy Ghost Fires in the desolate place and watch what God can do.
b. That Holy Ghost fire will comfort you.
c. That Holy Ghost fire will change your condition.
d. That Holy Ghost Fire will mark you.
e. That Holy Ghost Fire will guard you from this old world.
7. But what does it take to ‘Build A Fire’ in the middle of my situation?
I. THIS WASN’T A NEW FIRE… BUT A REKINDLED FIRE
a. They didn’t have to start by rubbing sticks together, they found a fire that had already been kindled.
b. I’m not looking for a new fire, a new fad passing by…I want to rekindle that same fire that burned in Acts the 2nd chapter.
A. THE EMBERS OF PENTECOST ARE STILL GLOWING
1. God is still moving.
2. But what that means to your life will be determined by what you do with those glowing embers.