Summary: Devote your life to building a memorial for God’s kingdom that will allow future generations to see the miracles He has done.
Joshua 5:2-8 – Building a Memorial
2 At that time the LORD said unto Joshua, Make thee sharp knives, and circumcise again the children of Israel the second time.
3 And Joshua made him sharp knives, and circumcised the children of Israel at the hill of the foreskins.
4 And this is the cause why Joshua did circumcise: All the people that came out of Egypt, that were males, even all the men of war, died in the wilderness by the way, after they came out of Egypt.
5 Now all the people that came out were circumcised: but all the people that were born in the wilderness by the way as they came forth out of Egypt, them they had not circumcised.
6 For the children of Israel walked forty years in the wilderness, till all the people that were men of war, which came out of Egypt, were consumed, because they obeyed not the voice of the LORD: unto whom the LORD sware that he would not shew them the land, which the LORD sware unto their fathers that he would give us, a land that floweth with milk and honey.
7 And their children, whom he raised up in their stead, them Joshua circumcised: for they were uncircumcised, because they had not circumcised them by the way.
8 And it came to pass, when they had done circumcising all the people, that they abode in their places in the camp, till they were whole.
· Verse 1 tells us that the heathen nations in Canaan saw the powerful manner in which the Lord brought His children through the Jordan and that they were totally demoralized by these events
· It would seem that they were absolutely resigned to their fate
· It would appear that this would be the perfect time for Joshua to lead the people forward into the attack but folks—God’s timing is not ours
· Instead of commanding His people to go forward into the battle, God commands them to remain at Gilgal and to do several things that, on the surface, appear very strange
· It even appears that the things they are required to do puts them at risk before their enemies
· While the ways of the Lord may appear strange to you and me, let me remind you that the ways of the Lord are not ours
· Isaiah 55:8-9--“For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways, Declares the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.”
· You see, God never gets in a hurry (we will see that a little later)
· He has the liberty to take His time and do things on His schedule
· While the things that happen in this chapter appear strange against the backdrop of impending battle, the truth of the matter is God is simply preparing His army to fight
· God’s battles are spiritual battles
· If we expect to fight in these battles and do well, then we must make the right king of spiritual preparations
· That is what the Lord is doing right here in the life of His people----it is also what He wants to do in your life and mine this morning
· God knew that they would never be ready to fight and win the battle until the proper spiritual preparations had been made