Summary: We are the temple of the Holy Ghost.A building that houses the body soul and spirit. How you build your temple is how good it stands. Built on the rock
Built on the Rock
Series on value messages for the believer
46. And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?
47. Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like:
48. He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock.
49. But he that heareth and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built a house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great.
This is the conclusion of Sermon on the Mount. Value messages for the believer.
I. I never knew you: Mt 7:21-23
21 ¶ not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? And in thy name have cast out devils? And in thy name done many wonderful works?
23. And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
a. Not every one of these disciples will be saved
1. Cry Lord, Lord- and call them-selves Christians
2. Telling us not all can or will enter the kingdom of heaven.
3. Criteria is those that will do the will of the Father.
22. But be ye doers of the word and not hearers only, are deceiving your own selves.
• Not saved by works- faith without works is dead
• As believers of the word we must commit to doing what the word says.
• Some call him lord. Lord, but does not do what he says
Titus 1:16: They profess to know God, but in works they deny Him, being abominable, disobedient, and disqualified for every good work.
II. Call him Lord- in that day
1. Works are insufficient
a. Lord-lord- have we not prophesied in you name
b. Have we not cast out devils in your name
c. Have we not done many wonders in your name
Jesus said depart from me you workers of iniquity I never knew you. It seems that once they did great works for him, but yet in their hearts love him not.
The Lord knows them that are his: John 10:14-15
14. I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.
15. As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.
Knowledge of a holy and heavenly love and by his grace know the Good Shepherd.
III. Parable of hearing and doing
1. Whosoever comes to me
2. Hearing my sayings
3. And does them
In certain seasons the rain would fall heavily washing stones on the shore inland. A builder might see the stones and in saving time (easy way) would build on the rocks and deprive that overflow the banks. But the rains would return and wash out the rocks and strong winds wash away any foundation built.
10 ¶ Because, yea, because they have misled my people, saying, ‘Peace,’ when there is no peace; and because, when the people build a wall, these prophets daub it with whitewash;