Summary: What is the purpose of the Baptism in the Holy Spirit? Is the Baptism in the Holy Spirit for today, and how is a person Baptized, is what this message explains
Title: Burning With Fire
- Luke gives us a two fold reason why believers need to be baptized in the Holy Spirit.
1. For Power
2. To Be A Witness
- Power means more then strength and ability, it means something that’s in operation or in action. Meaning a demonstration of God’s power.
- We live out our Christian walk for all the world to see.
- We may speak to people, pray for people, but God will demonstrate His power through us.
- For example, Luke says that driving out demons and the anointing to heal the sick are two essential signs accompanying the proclamation of God’s kingdom.
Luke 4:18 (quickview)  says, “The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because He has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”
Luke 4:36 (quickview)  says, “All the people were amazed and said to each other, What is this teaching? With authority and power he gives orders to evil spirits and they come out! And the news about Him spread throughout the surrounding area.”
- The Baptism in the Holy Spirit is God’s provision for releasing the power of the Holy Spirit into the believers life.
- The baptism in the Holy Spirit not only imparts power to preach Jesus as Lord and Savior, but it also increases the effectiveness of our witness.
- We will stick out like a sore thumb. People will automatically see the change that has been brought by the baptism of the Holy Spirit.
- So the question is, is the baptism of the Holy Spirit for today? Are believers still be filled with the Holy Spirit today? The answer is yes, it’s for all who profess faith in Christ.
- For the simple reason of power, to live the Christian experience and walk and for witness.
- So how where the disciples baptized with the Holy Spirit?
Point 1: They Were Saved First
- The baptism of the Spirit is for all who profess faith in Christ and have been born again.
- At this moment the disciples were saved and had received the indwelling, regenerating presence of the Holy Spirit.
- They were born again.
- At this moment the Holy Spirit began to live in the disciples. And if have received Christ into your heart, then you too have the Holy Spirit living in you just like the disciples.
- The disciples prior to this time were technically true believers and followers of Jesus and were saved according to Old Covenant provisions.
- Yet they were not regenerated in the full New Covenant sense.
- This was actually the birth of the New Testament church.
- Therefore all people who receive Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior receive the Holy Spirit and afterwards must experience the baptism in the Spirit for power to be His witnesses.