Summary: Because this starts with “Jews” you may think this isn’t about you; think instead, “religious,” you’re a good Baptist, Catholic, or even a Jew; this passage is for people confident in their faith.
Because this starts with “Jews” you may think this isn’t about you. Think instead, “religious.” You’re a good Baptist, Catholic, or even a Jew. This passage is for people confident in their faith.
1) The reason for your confidence is are good. vv. 17-20.
• You have the Law, you have the Bible in your home. You have even memorized favorite parts of it. You read it, you bring it to church with you. You even have daily quite times.
• You make a public profession of your faith. You are open about your faith in God. You say things like “Praise the Lord,” “Thank God,” & even say “grace” at dinner and “Amen,” in church!
• You are a guide to the blind, a light in darkness, you teach the ignorant, you instruct the immature. You have faith in the word of God as the full embodiment real truth.
• The problem here is self-righteousness being substituted for Godly-righteousness. Man can only look on the externals, the actions we can see & observe. But not God. Eze 33:31
2) The problem is that you don’t live up to your confession of faith.
• You say stealing is wrong, do you steal? From your job, neighbor, family, shopping? This is so key the Bible repeats it over & over: Ex 20:15; Lev 19:11; Deut. 5:19; Matt 19:18; Rom 13:9
• You say adultery is wrong. You want pure brides & grooms, sons & daughters. But do you dress provocatively? Do you dress to kill? Lust? Do you watch or read porn? Matthew 5:27-28
• You hate idols & idolatry. But are you sacrilegious? Do you “rob temples;” means commit sacrilege, diverting what is God’s to another use. Time, tithes, affections, loyalties, activities.
3) The results of our sins.
• When Christians sin, it gives doubters, sinners occasion to deny, doubt, mock curse, ridicule and profane the Name of God. It hurts you, but it also hurts unbelievers; but mostly it insults God.
4) Ritual of religion won’t save us.
• The Jews have the ritual of circumcision. This gave them confidence because it was commanded by God. Christians have baptism, commanded by God, & they are confident in that.
• But ritual does not save, “For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, that no one should boast.” Eph. 2:8-9