Summary: We need to rely upon the power of God’s Spirit. His power removes obstacles, not ours. And His power works through you and me. God is not looking for our power but our participation, our availability and not our abilities.
Many people believe that to survive in this world a person must be tough, strong, and unbending.
• But can we? Can we always be tough and strong? No. We all need God’s help.
Zerubbabel has an enormous responsibility to rebuild the Temple.
• The task was daunting. He faced many problems – the group was small, the people were discouraged, and enemies were coming against the work.
• And then God came and reminded him, “Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit.” (Zech 4:6). The key words here are “by My Spirit”.
• This is God’s work and it is ONLY through His Spirit that anything of lasting value is accomplished.
1. It is God’s Power that is important, not ours.
The returned exiles were a very weak lot.
• They were tired, discouraged and poor. They faced oppositions to the rebuilding of the Temple.
• But God reminded them, that He is on their side.
It is good to remind ourselves this, because sometimes we live as if everything depends on us.
• We are worried about many things, because we feel that we are in charge.
• We live as if we are in control, of everything.
• God reminded Zerubbabel, not only that He is there with him, but it will be His help that guarantees the success of the task.
This year will be a good year, not because the economy will be good, not because the circumstances around us are good, not because our business is thriving.
• This year will be good because our good God is with us and He is our help.
• The psalmist says, “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.” (Ps 46:1)
What is really important is not how strong, or capable, or intelligent you are. What is important is whether you trust Him and believe in His goodness.
It will surely be done, the Lord says to Zerubbabel, by My Spirit.
• Zerubbabel does not have to rely on his own wisdom and strength.
• We need not have to fight life’s battles with our own strength and limited wisdom.
• God wants us to put our trust in Him. God wants us to rely on His strength.
Jesus said, “All power and authority has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations.”
• Before He said GO, He wants us to know that ‘all power and authority’ is in His hands.
• He is the source of help we need in reaching a lost world.
A native from a remote mountain village had the opportunity to visit a large modern city for the first time. He could not bring much home with him, and he had little money. But he was amazed at the electric lights which he saw everywhere.
So he bought a sack full of electric lights bulbs and sockets with switches so he could turn them off and on.
Arriving home he hung the light bulbs in front of his home and on his and his neighbour’s trees. Everyone watched him with curiosity and asked him what he was doing, but he just smiled and said, "Just wait until dark - you’ll see."
When night came he turned on the switches, but nothing happened.
No one had told him about electricity. He did not know the light bulbs were useless unless connected to the source of their power.