Summary: Cain had at least two bad room mates and I am not talking about Able but Satan and his sin nature.
1. In my research of Cain and Able, I discovered that all of their problem stemmed from the fact that they were roommates.
In "Children's letters to God" I found these:
Instead of letting people die and having to make new ones, why don't You just keep the ones You have now? -Jane
Thank you for the baby brother, but what I prayed for was a puppy. -Joyce
What does it mean You are a Jealous God? I thought You had everything. -Neil
Maybe Cain and Abel would not kill each other so much if they had their own rooms. It works with my brother. -Larry
There might be something to that, here is a list of how College students, would have written the Bible:
1) Instead of God creating the world in six days and resting on the seventh, He would have put it off until the night before it was due and then pulled an all-nighter and hoped no one noticed.
2) Reason why Moses and followers walked in desert for 40 years: He didn't want to ask directions and look like a Freshman.
3) Paul's Letters to the Romans become Paul's E-Mail to the Romans.
4) Ten Commandments are actually only five, but because they are double-spaced and written in a large font, they look like ten.
5) Reason Cain killed Abel: They were roommates.
2. Cain had at least two bad room mates - and I'm not talking about Able. I am talking about his own sin nature; and Satan! We looked at Cain not long ago in the book of Jude, but since most of you were not here for it, this will seem fresh.
3. Cain's Road of Religious Ruin.
I. FIRST, CAIN WAS NO DIFFERENT THAN ABLE.
A. By Birth - they were both sinners.
"When Adam sinned, sin entered the entire human race. His sin spread death throughout all the world, so everything began to grow old and die, for all sinned." Romans 5:12 (TLB)
Machintosh, "Cain and Able were born, not inside, but outside of paradise - they were the sons not of innocent, but of fallen Adam. They came into the world, as partakers of the nature of their father; and it mattered not in what way, that nature might display itself, it was sinful nature still - fallen, ruined, depraved nature."
"Look, I was guilty of sin from birth, a sinner the moment my mother conceived me." Psalm 51:5 (NET1)
"The wicked are estranged from the womb; These who speak lies go astray from birth." Psalm 58:3 (NASB)
B. By Behavior - both committed acts of sin. Rom.3:23
"But the Scripture has shut up everyone under sin, so that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe." Galatians 3:22 (NASB)
C. Both had Belief.
Cain believed in his offering - Cain was no atheist, "he brought an offering to the Lord." He was no atheist! He believed in what he offered before God, or he would not have offered it!
Most Americans are not atheist either; and most believe in their offering to God. That offering is in the form of good works; doing the best they can; etc.
Trans:The difference between Cain and Able was in in themselves. The difference between the lost and saved today, is not, in the saved or lost.