Summary: Description of Cains way and his wife’s choosing to follow it.
Intro: The question before us is where did Cain’s wife come from. We are told that after he killed able Cain dwelt in the land of Nod and Cain knew his wife. Genesis 4:16 & 17, "And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden. (17) And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch.
Core: Cain became a city dweller. That is what many of us are today. Name cities and streets after others.
Body: I. Cain had just slain his brother Abel; God has condemned to being a wanderer.
A. He is to leave his parents and the presence of God.
1. God has put a mark upon his head.
2. He was to wander.
3. But we are told he built a city.
4. The city was in the land of Nod.
B. No capital punishment was given at this time, however God established it at a latter time.
1. There had been no law given at this point in time.
2. Cain is a sinner but not a transgressor.
3. For a transgressor is one who violates the law.
4. His great sin is that he did not bring a satisfactory offering to God.
C. His deeds were evil in what he brought to God.
1. This sin lead to another.
2. His evil nature led him to murder his brother Abel.
D. Notice the progression of Cain.
1. He offers an offering of his labor.
2. Fruits from his, own hands.
3. Not an offering of a blood sacrifice as God had prescribed.
4. When God rejected this offering Cain gets angry.
II. How bad it is when we people put their faith in works to get them to heaven.
A. They are walking in the way of Cain. Jude 1:11 tells us "Woe unto them! for they have gone in the way of Cain, and ran greedily after the error of Balaam for reward, and perished in the gainsaying of Core.
1. The way of Cain is do it yourself salvation.
2. A salvation by works and dependent upon self.
3. God has always given man the way of salvation,
4. That way is only one way. By the blood of Jesus Christ, of which was symbolized by the blood offering God required.
B. Therefore Cain was banished from the presence of God and his parents forever.
1. This shows how man is banished from God’s presence for all eternity when he doesn’t accept God’s way.
2. When he becomes dependent upon his own works for his own salvation.
3. When anyone tries to gain salvation by works they are doomed to be separated from God for all eternity. Revelation 21:8 talks about this separation, "But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death."
4. Thus was the fate of Cain, all these listed are those who have rejected Gods’ plan, they have rejected Jesus Christ as savior and depended upon their own self for salvation.
C. Thus was Cain doomed to walk.
1. That day Adam and Eve lost two sons by ones actions.
2. Abel was dead murdered by his brother,
3. Cain was exiled to wander the earth.
4. So great the heartbreak must have been for these two.
D. But not only were they separated from their two sons but also from a daughter.
1. We are told that Cain didn’t know his wife until he came into the land of Nod.
2. But where did she come from.
3. She came with him.
4. She was a daughter of Adam and Eve.
III. We are only given the names of three of Adam and Eve’s children.
A. However, the word is clear they had other sons.
1. And they had daughters. Genesis 5:4, "And the days of Adam after he had begotten Seth were eight hundred years: and he begat sons and daughters:"
2. These daughters were born to marry their sons.
3. That is the only way man could populate the earth at the time.
4. When these daughters were born we are not told.
B. There was probably a daughter born between Cain and Abel.
1. She could have been born after Abel.
2. But, she was born and she chose to follow after her brother Cain.
3. She chose to go and be his wife.
4. To bear him children.
C. Not much else is known about her.
1. No name is given to her.