Summary: Psalm 81:7 "You called in trouble and I rescued you; I answered you in the hiding place of thunder..."
Call When Trouble Comes
Psalm 81:7 “You called in trouble and I rescued you; I answered you in the hiding place of thunder...”
Intro: “I will call upon the Lord Who is worthy to be praised – so shall I be saved from my enemies.”
I. You Called In Trouble
A. Ex 17:6,7
1. Psalm is referring to Israel’s call to God b/c of the lack of water on their journey to the promised land.
2. The “calling” is likened to a prayer
(1) You MUST be willing to call on God when you are in trouble.
(2) Ex 2:23 Israel called out to God because of their bondage
(3) Luke 23:42,43 Sinner on cross next to Jesus called out on Him in trouble
b) You cannot defeat life or the enemy on your own
(1) Your troubles
(a) Relationships – Failed, Current or Future
(b) High School/College – Drugs, Alcohol Sex
(d) Career Decision
3. Getting Answers
a) Believing Matt. 21:22
b) In Christ’s Name John 14:13
c) According to God’s will 1 John 5:14
(1) What is God’s Will?
d) Humility and Repentance Luke 18:10-14
e) Confident Expectation 11:14
f) Unceasingly 1 Thess. 5:17
II. I Answered You
A. Ex 2:23 God heard their cry and He answered through Moses
B. The troubles of our lives demand answers
1. Hebrews 13:5 “I Will never leave you nor forsake You”
2. 1 Corinthians 10:13 “No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it. “
3. The steps of a righteous person are ordered by the Lord
4. Let God order your steps – let Him answer you – let Him guide you
a) In your relationships
b) In your sexuality
c) In your career/ministry
III. Know Your Source
A. John 15:1-8
1. God is the true vine
a) Your source is not TV
b) Your source is not Newspaper
c) Your source is not your employer
2. Bear Fruit – don’t be taken away
a) Branch cannot bear fruit without connection to the vine
3. Vs 7: “If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you. By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples.
B. 1 Chronicles 29:12 “Wealth and honor come from you; you are the ruler of all things. In your hands are strength and power to exalt and give strength to all.”
C. He is the source of salvation – if you don’t already know him (For those unsaved)
1. John 3:16
2. Hebrews 5:9 “He is the source of eternal salvation…”
3. He wills to become your source
4. With Him you will never thirst again
a) Sorrows will be lessened in impact because you know He is your source of Joy
b) Temptations will be lessened in impact because you know He is your source of strength and way of escape
c) You will never thirst for earthly power because all authority under heaven is given to you.
d) You will defeat the enemy at every turn
Closing: The message is this. You MUST know who your source is in time of trouble. You MUST know who to turn to, who to call on, who to exalt, who to praise, who to talk to when it seems that life isn’t going the right way. I have two closings.