Summary: As God’s chosen people, we are called to godliness.
April 16, 2001
A. Review of the previous topic—Called to Repentance
1. Important Things Discussed:
a. True Repentance Involves Four Things:
i. Putting our priority in line with God’s priority
ii. Discarding things that create disorder in our lives
iii. Replacing discarded things with the fruits of the Holy Spirit
iv. Willingness to hear and listen to God’s voice
B. Today’s Topic—Called to Godliness
A. The Call to Godliness
1. Paul’s Counsel to the Young Timothy.
b. Other Counsels that Paul Could Have Given Timothy:
i. Counsel on money matters
1. Love of money is the root of all evil. 1 Timothy 6:10
2. Command the rich to be rich in good deeds and be generous in their giving. 1 Timothy 6:17-18
ii. Counsel to pursue higher Learning
1. “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.” 1 Timothy 3:16
iii. Counsel on Leadership
1. Treat everyone with respect. 1 Timothy 5:1-3
iv. Counsel on how to be a good debater
1. Avoid foolish and stupid arguments because they produce quarrels. 2 Timothy 2:23
v. Counsels on How to Satisfy the Desires of Your Youth
1. “Flee the evil desires of your youth, and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.” 2 Timothy 2:22
c. In all his counsels to Timothy, Paul’s counsels boils down to one word—Godliness.
2. Ellen G. Wrote: “A revival of true godliness among us is the greatest and most urgent of all our needs. To seek this should be our first work.” Selected Messages, Volume 1, page 121.
B. What is Godliness?
1. Dictionary defines Godliness as obeying, loving, and fearing God.
2. Godliness is becoming like God.
C. Why Godliness?
1. Peter’s Five Important Reasons for Godliness. 1 Peter 2:9
a. We are a chosen people
1. It is the first responsibility of every person before God.
2. Illustration: Chinese moral teaching—the first and foremost responsibility of each person is respect for parents—versus what the Bible teaches—the first and foremost responsibility of each person is respect for God because God is the Creator.
b. We are a royal priesthood
1. We will reign with Christ. Revelation 20:4
2. Those who will reign with Christ is described as wearing white robes, symbol of holiness. Revelation 7:9
c. We are a holy nation
1. God is holy; His people must be holy.
2. God is just; His people must be just
3. God is love; His people must be loving
4. God is generous; His people must show generosity
d. We are a people who belongs to God
1. Redeemed by Christ’s precious blood. 1 Peter 1:15-19
e. We are called to declare His glory
1. We are witnesses in Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria, and to the ends of the earth. Acts 1:8
D. The Way to Godliness. I Timothy 4:7
1. Avoid godless myths and old wives’ tales
a. Refrain from listening to things that does not build you up spiritually.
b. Avoid conversations that distract you from focusing on God.
2. Training and discipline