Summary: FALSE TEACHERS PROMOTE HERESY AND STIR UP DIVISION AND STRIFE
FALSE TEACHERS PROMOTE HERESY AND STIR UP DIVISION AND
The book ends with the same subject featured at the beginning = denunciation of false
I. (:2B-3) FALSE TEACHERS PROMOTE HERESY --
FALSE TEACHING IS RECOGNIZED AS THAT WHICH IS CONTRARY TO SOUND DOCTRINE
A. (:2b) Exhortation to Preach Sound Doctrine (which is in accordance with practical godliness)
"Teach and preach these principles"
Pres. Impvs. - keep on teaching and preaching these principles
Guthrie: "… could refer to what precedes, but seem more illuminative when regarded as introductory to what follows (as RSV). Timothy is to stand out in obvious contrast to those who teach otherwise…"
B. (:3) Identification of That Which is Contrary to Sound Doctrine
1. Identified by the Standard of Systematic Theology
a. "If anyone advocates a different doctrine"
b. "and does not agree with sound words"
2. Identified by the Standard of the Teaching of Christ
"those of our Lord Jesus Christ "
3. Identified by the Standard of Practical Godliness
"and with the doctrine conforming to godliness"
II. (:4-5) FALSE TEACHERS STIR UP DIVISION AND STRIFE
A. Root Problem: Inflated Perspective of Their Own Understanding of Truth
1. "he is conceited"
Knowledge puffs up; Pride is the root problem
Wiersbe: "A believer who understands the Word will have a burning heart, not a.big head (Luke 24:32; and see Dan. 9:1-20)."
Gromacki: "He is like a balloon that is fully blown up. Paul earlier condemned the sudden promotion of a new believer into a position of leadership because
pride could overcome the latter (3:6). One of the marks of the apostates in the last days is that they will be ’highminded’ (II Tim. 3:4; same word). God hates the ’proud look’ (Prov. 6:17). A person puffed up with self-importance is on the brink of spiritual self-destruction."
2. "and understands nothing"
Not just understands a little … but understands nothing!
B. Unhealthy Emphasis: Controversial Subjective Speculation
1. "but he has a morbid interest in controversial questions"
2. "and disputes about words"
C. Disruptive Impact: Stirring up Division and Strife
"out of which arise":
3. "abusive language"
4. "evil suspicions"
5. "and constant friction"
D. Root Problems - continued
1. Sick Mind
a. Depraved -- "men of depraved mind"
b. Deprived -- "deprived of the truth"
2. Sick Heart -- Only spiritual motivation = greed for material gain
"who suppose that godliness is a means of gain"
Hiebert: "They conceived of their show of godliness as a profitable commercial investment, a lucrative business, advancing one’s worldy interests."
* * * * * * * * * *
1) Why does Paul always associate true doctrine with godly behavior? Why is doctrine so minimized today as if there is a dichotomy between sound doctrine and godly behavior or as if sound doctrine represents mere dead orthodoxy?
2) How does pride affect our thought processes and our evaluation of self? How does pride feed on itself in a cyclical way?
3) Trace the connection between envy and strife throughout the Scriptures. Why are these always seen as a tandem?
4) Why do we see so many religious charlatans today on TV and elsewhere in the media making a mockery of the gospel by their obvious motivation of greed and
materialism? Was it the same in Paul’s day?
Download the entire 1 Timothy commentary in pdf
format (including notes on each sermon from other
("Other Free Commentaries" button)