Summary: Study on a Candle for the Lord.
I PONDER : HOW IMPORTANT CAN A LITTLE LIGHT BE?
The use of a candle is a good illustration for a lesson.
A good text is found in Luke 15, the Lost Chapter:
Luke 15: 8 Either the woman having ten pieces
of silver, if she lose one
piece, DOES SHE NOT LIGHT A CANDLE, AND SWEEP the
house, and seek
diligently until she find it.
A. The lady needs 10 silver coins to marry.
B. She cannot get married with just 9 coins.
C. Somehow the lady was careless or neglectful
to lose her coin.
D. This neglect was from paying too little
E. The lady had to develop a plan to find her
F. The lady needed light, so she got a candle
and the flame.
G. After the lady had light, she saw dirt had
H. Dirt hides the coin, she had lazy
housekeeping skills, and this could
hurt her getting married.
I. After having light, and seeing the dirt, the
lady developed a plan to clean her house.
J. When the candle exposed, her effort to
clean, God honored her effort and she found her
K. Now she can find her a mate.
LESSONS A CANDLE CAN GIVE.
1. Candles are molded and shaped. There are
little, short, fat candles; there are long,
skinny candles, there are beautiful decorated
candles, but candles all have one basic purpose,
to make light.
2. There is something in the middle of a candle
that makes the wax have a purpose, without Jesus
in the center, we are hollow and empty.
3. The real purpose of the candle is not cosmetic,
the candle must give
itself for the light!
4. As the candle gives itself for the light it
produces heat, and often times a special fragrance
5. The darker the night, the greater the light.
6. For the light to continue burning, it requires
effort, expense, or trouble
for the candle.
7. Candling was a process used in 1800s to examine
an egg. One would hold the egg up to a candle to
test the egg for freshness or staleness.
8. The candle is symbolic of learning and
understanding. The candle represents more than
head learning, but more heart learning.
9. Men don’t light candles and hide them under a
basket, but rather to hold it up high, or place in
front of a reflector to maximize the light.
10. One small candle may give light to many on a
11. If the candle compared itself to the sun, it
would never give itself for the light.
12. Candles must protect themselves from the wind,
else the light will go out.
13. A good candle paces itself, and does not burn
at both ends.
14. You can curse the darkness all you want, but it
is far better to learn to
light a candle and keep it burning.
16. Bad and evil deeds do not like the light.
17. We have a responsibility to lead others to the
light we want no one sitting in darkness.
18. A candle’s life has a span, there is a limit.
19. The more candles burning the greater the light.
20. You can argue all you want, about darkness, but
a candle will expose the truth.
A PERSONAL LESSON:
Well, I am pondering again, how good Jesus has been to me. I am privileged to own a Bible, and to know the name above all names, Wonderful is HIS NAME, He has called me, He has kept me, HE LOVES ME!!.