Summary: Learning not to let money control you.
Careful for Money
Text: 1 Timothy 6:3-21
Main Verse: 10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
False Teachers and Money
1Ti 6:3 If anyone teaches otherwise and does not consent to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which accords with godliness, (4) he is proud, knowing nothing, but is obsessed with disputes and arguments over words, from which come envy, strife, reviling, evil suspicions, (5) useless wranglings of men of corrupt minds and destitute of the truth, who suppose that godliness is a means of gain. From such withdraw yourself.
Problems with False Teachers
1. Does not consent (adhere to or follow) to the words of Christ
2. Does not hold to the doctrine of godliness
3. They have pride
4. Interested in disputes and arguments
Do this all in an interest to gain wealth
If you are rich be careful
(17) Command those who are rich in this present age not to be haughty (highminded, prideful), nor to trust in uncertain riches but in the living God (“Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning” (James 1:17) “But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you” (Matthew 6:33).)., who gives us richly all things to enjoy.
Mark 10:17-27 Now as He was going out on the road, one came running, knelt before Him, and asked Him, "Good Teacher, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?" (18) So Jesus said to him, "Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. (19) "You know the commandments: ’Do not commit adultery,’ ’Do not murder,’ ’Do not steal,’ ’Do not bear false witness,’ ’Do not defraud,’ ’Honor your father and your mother.’" (20) And he answered and said to Him, "Teacher, all these things I have kept from my youth." (21) Then Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, "One thing you lack: Go your way, sell whatever you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, take up the cross, and follow Me." (22) But he was sad at this word, and went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions. (23) Then Jesus looked around and said to His disciples, "How hard it is for those who have riches to enter the kingdom of God!" (24) And the disciples were astonished at His words. But Jesus answered again and said to them, "Children, how hard it is for those who trust in riches to enter the kingdom of God! (25) "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." (26) And they were greatly astonished, saying among themselves, "Who then can be saved?" (27) But Jesus looked at them and said, "With men it is impossible, but not with God; for with God all things are possible."
(18) Let them do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to give, willing to share, 19 storing up for themselves a good foundation for the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life.
What is a rich person to do? Consider riches to be a gift from the Lord and give back so that they can store up riches in heaven.
6 Now godliness with contentment is great gain. 7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. 8 And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content. (basic necessities)
Contentment does not come from money
(9) But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation (too many ways not to depend on God) and a snare (entrapment), and into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition (destruction).
(10) For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness (not uncommon), and pierced themselves through with many sorrows (never satisfied).
Flee from these things
(11) But you, O man of God, flee these things and pursue righteousness (being right with God & right living), godliness (godly living, live like God, God conscience), faith (trusting in that which we cannot see, Heb 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen., also faithfulness), love, patience, gentleness.
(12) Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, to which you were also called and have confessed the good confession in the presence of many witnesses.