Summary: What the real Christmas spirit is all about.
One of the phrases often heard in the Christmas holidays by Christians and non Christians alike is The spirit of Christmas. Many are mistaken about what the real spirit of Christmas is;
1. Its not something that you catch in December after the thanksgiving holidays like you would catch the common cold or the flu. This is not the real Spirit of Christmas.
2. Just like catching the flu is no good, catching or getting the spirit of Christmas in this manner is also bad for you and will most likely get a person into trouble or serious debt. I was recently at the mall and I heard someone say that; ?as soon as I go shopping I catch the Christmas spirit?. Have any of you gone shopping lately? As we get closer to Christmas people get more violent. They push and shove, they fight (Carmen and Myra saw a fight at wal-mart the day after thanksgiving because of a toy. Not kids fighting but parents).
3. The idea is that its Christmas and you have to get into the joy of the spirit. Charge it now and pay for it later.
4. The real Christmas spirit is not going out with the people at the office or with friends to get drunk and do all the things that you don?t normally do any other time of the year. To some this is the spirit of Christmas.
WE SEE THE REAL SPIRIT OF CHRISTMAS IN THE TESTIMONIES OF THE WITNESSES IN THE BIRTH OS JESUS;
#1) First we have the testimonies of the wise men. (Look at what they say in verse 2),
?Where is He that was born King of the Jews? For we have seen His star in the east and are come to worship Him?.
· There are several things that show the Spirit of Christmas;
· 1. They came from very far seeking to catch a glimpse of the Lord.
· 2. They wanted to worship Him. If you want to have the right spirit at Christmas, You must have an attitude of seeking Him and an attitude of worship.
· 3.They came from far away (from the east verse 1, probably from the country that is now Iran).
· ? How far are you willing to step out of your comfort zone this Christmas to see the Lord and worship Him?
· The church suffers in attendance at Christmas because many rather go shopping than come to church to worship Him.
· But while others were shopping the wise men came to worship Jesus.
· The Bible doesn?t say much about the wise men. Only that they were wise and that they were from the east. Theologians say that they may have been part of a religious order in Iran that were knowledgeable in astrology( the study of the stars), medicine, and science.
· they were the scientists and the wise men of those days
· The right spirit of Christmas is a Spirit of wisdom . Make sure that you make wise decisions this Christmas as you shop for your friends and loved ones. Give them some thing that is going to help them. (some Christians give liquor for Christmas to their friends, this is not operating in the spirit of wisdom).
#2) There is the testimony of the star.
· The star is what brought them to Jesus in the first place. Verse 2, ?For we have seen His star?. It was the star or the light of Christ.