Summary: A MAJESTIC BRIDEGROOM AND A BEAUTIFUL BRIDE PRODUCE MEMORABLE PRINCES
A MAJESTIC BRIDEGROOM AND A BEAUTIFUL BRIDE PRODUCE
Celebration of the Royal Wedding = "A Good Theme"; a love psalm;
a miniature Song of Solomon
Note how many unpleasant themes comprise the bulk of our daily news and discourse
Speaks in part of the historical context with the king of Israel
Speaks ultimately of the love relationship between Christ and His Bride = the Church
Note how the king is addressed as God in vs.6; but then distinct from God in vs. 7
I. (:2-9) ADMIRATION FOR THE BRIDEGROOM = THE KING
Matthew Henry: "The transcendent excellences of Christ are represented by the beauty
of the royal Bridegroom"
A. (:2) Summary = Blessed by God
1. He is Handsome
"fairer than the sons of man" ("Fairest Lord Jesus!")
2. He is a Communicator of Grace to others
"Grace is poured upon Thy lips"
3. He is Blessed by God forever
B. (:3-5) A Mighty, Majestic, Conquering King
"for the Cause of Truth and Meekness and Righteousness"
1. Celebrating His Might
2. Celebrating His Majesty
3. Celebrating His Victory
C. (:6-7) A Throne of Eternal Righteousness
D. (:8-9) All of the Royal Accessories
II. (:10-15) ADMIRATION FOR THE BRIDE
A. (:10) Her Devotion.Leaving Her Household to Cleave to the King
B. (:11a) Her Beauty
C. (:11b) Her Submission
D. (:12) Her Wedding Gifts
E. (:13-15) Her Glorious Wedding Night
Celebration of the Royal Offspring
* * * * * * * * * *
1) Do words flow easily from our hearts in praise of our King, as the words flow easily from the pen of this ready writer?
2) If power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely (as is so often seen in human rulers), how much more will the victorious Lord of the Universe’s beauty be magnified and thus demonstrated in His kindness and grace?
3) Do we have a sense that Christ delights in His bride just as the bridegroom here is said to “desire her beauty”? The queen is described as “all glorious within.”
4) How does this psalm speak of the fulfillment of God’s promise to Abraham to bless him abundantly and rise up a numerous and prosperous line of descendants from his house?
Download the entire Psalms commentary in pdf format
(including notes on each psalm from other commentators)